Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Forester L that I just got a few months ago. One of the features that is driving me nuts is the hill descent/ascent feature. I have to drive over a mountain on my commute to work and on the downhill side, as soon as I touch the brake it wants to downshift to 3rd to slow me down. The road is straight enough that I do not need to slow down this drastically. So downshift to 3rd when I am going 65mph is not so great. The RPMs jump to about 4.5k until I bump the shifter into nuetral to coast down the hill.

My question is, is this feature controlled by the TCU (transmission control unit) or is it built into the transmission mechanically? I assume it is TCU controlled as it has to sense the brake input somehow.

My next question is, can I swap the TCU out for a 2001 Legacy TCU? I believe that the Legacy does not have this descent control built into it. If possible, I would swap the TCU to fix my problem. (I have a 01 Legacy parts car.) Is a Legacy transmission the same as a Forester transmission?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
37 Posts
Sorry to not be of help, as I see this the the first reply after 8 months.

I too would like to know if this issue is fixable. I live in rather hilly country and the down shift at the tap of the brakes is pretty annoying. especially since it doesn't want to kick back into a higher gear for 1/2 mile or so after leveling out. Then again- I've been having schiziod AT oil temp light nightmares that could be part of the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts