Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my forester for almost 2yrs now (5spd, automatic, 110k). The first winter it was excellent on our icy snowy roads here in frozen tundra of WI. However, this year, the wheels seem to spin more frequently on ice and snow. I'm doing the research for some new tires and will be purchasing them shortly.

But this is not my problem. When my tires spin (especially around a corner or when I take off quickly in slippery conditions) there is a "CLUNK" when the transmission seems to lock back in. It's coming from the back, its very loud, and it seems like it is occurring when the back tires are spinning, but it is hard to tell for sure. Transmission fluid was changed last summer.

Is this the trans "clunking" back into place? Is this even possible? I might have found another thread with my same problem, but I'm not sure. (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...er-compatibility-questions-help-please-65993/) or this one (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/rear-diff-clunking-13973/)

I don't really understand how the forester transmission works, so any thoughts or pointers would be helpful!:confused:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
That thread only corresponds to the 5MT.

I think the owner has a 4EAT, and misspoke saying it was a 5-speed.

I'd search for "torque bind" and start there.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry, yes its a 4EAT. If it is the center diff, how long can I run on it and be ok? Since it only seems to happen in the snow/ice, couldn't I just keep driving on it until it gets too bad to tolerate?

Just as a note, I do have a slow leak in one of the tires, which means I'm often driving with one at a lower psi than the others. I try and keep it inflated similar to the others (32psi) but obviously, there is some difference there. I wonder if this has lead to what I am hearing...

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I would be willing to bet on the carrier bearing knocking around under the shock load changes of the wheels getting traction again.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I would be willing to bet on the carrier bearing knocking around under the shock load changes of the wheels getting traction again.
Its probably that combined with all of the soft rear diff bushings. I get the same thing, especially if the rear tires are spinning and then regain grip, theres a huge clunk (say if you're spinning and then hit dry pavement).

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any way of diagnosing a faulty carrier bearing, or is this something that needs to be done by someone at a sube shop?

Also, is this something that I can continue to drive with, or does it need be done sooner than later? It's never a problem on dry roads. It's just when slipping in the snow. I'm hoping a new set of Nokian WRG2's will help... ;)

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
The tires slipping are more then likely not the cause, they just make the problem evident. If it is a worn bushing at the carrier bearing or the diff you should be able to tell by taking a hand on the part and trying to move it around in the bushing, along with visual signs of large cracks, degraded rubber falling off.....

When checking the drive shaft do so with the parking brake set and the trans in neutral to allow some free play.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Is it possible to just change the carrier bearing, or would I need to change the drive shaft with it? On other posts, it seems like you can't get just the carrier bearing for replacement. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if there is any play in the bearing.

Also, what causes this to happen? Or, is it just a part that just wears out over time? Is there anything I did to cause this?

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put it into neutral and tried to wiggle the rear drive shaft and carrier bearing, but nothing moved. It was solid.

I just got some new shoes (nokian wrg2's) about three days ago and so far, there hasn't been any clunking goin on. It's been warm in WI for the last few days, so we'll see if I can get it do clunk on slippery roads.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I put it into neutral and tried to wiggle the rear drive shaft and carrier bearing, but nothing moved. It was solid.

I just got some new shoes (nokian wrg2's) about three days ago and so far, there hasn't been any clunking goin on. It's been warm in WI for the last few days, so we'll see if I can get it do clunk on slippery roads.
Then its probably just the rear diff /diff carrier banging around in the mounts. If it comes back at some point, you might want to try the rear diff outrigger bushings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts