Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forseter XS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, all of this buying crap has gotten me confused, angered, and a whole lot of other feelings towards certain dealers in my area.... :mob:
anyways, the forester i've finally found is in Maryland, and i am 2 1/2-3 hours away in Virginia, so does anybody know what exactly it is i am going to need to get in order to drive the car from MD to VA? thanks!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,490 Posts
Not really sure what you're asking? :confused: The Forester I bought last year (June/09) was at least that far away in another State. The purchase amount was ironed out before my son & I headed to the dealership in the morning. When We got there, we looked over the vehicle, took a test drive. I signed some papers, handed over my casher's check for the vehicle, they attached a temp (trip permit) on the vehicle & we were headed home. My '07 FSXT was sitting in our driveway before dark. :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,964 Posts
Easy. You can get temp cardboard plates in MD (30 days IIRC) for a modest fee. If you're buying from a dealer they can take care of that. Been there.

Or, it might be possible that VA will let you register it before you actually buy it, but I don't have any actual info about that.

As for tax, you won't be paying any in MD, as the tax there is a title tax, not a sales tax. Tax will be up to VA when you title and register it.

·
Registered
03 Forseter XS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bobby, i'll be purchasing from a private seller, so im not too sure as how to get a temp tag. i'll definatly check out trying to get some temp tags before purchase. i guess having a bill of sale, signed title and a cardboard sign that says "in transit" just wont cut it...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,490 Posts
The Forester doesn't have current plates/registration? :confused: If not, I'd have the seller get a trip permit for you. I don't see why you should have to do that. Of course you may have to pay for the permit. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts