Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 forester x, AT, 55000 mi and 6 months to go on the 5 year warranty. I just had an oil change at the dealer and mentioned that I have some transmission slippage occasionally thinking I could get that on record in case of problems later. The service advisor says "transfer clutches are chattering". I do notice slapping noise when I start out in the morning. Advisor says I need transmission flush for the tune of $400. They changed fluid at 32000 miles. I asked about warranty if I had problems later and she says transfer clutch is not covered as part of the transmission.
I am interested in what some more mechanically minded viewers think of the recommendation. I will appreciate any comments.
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
400 for a transmission flush? They just want to take your money. I don't know that I would trust that shop. Transfer clutches should be covered with the transmission. Pretty easy to replace if you find the part cheap enough (inside the tail housing of the transmission, can be removed with the trans still in the car).

·
Registered
2005 forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. 400 does seem pretty steep and I'm not sure it will really make any difference. I've been thinking the slapping noise when it is cold is piston slap because I read that on "click and clack" and is normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts