Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium automatic
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 2.5X with 4 speed automatic. 105K. I called a very trusted transmission man in my area about a trans flush. I don't know if it's been done before. He says the varnish deposits will dislodge and cause problems. He says don't touch it unless it's malfunctioning which it isn't. The fluid is clean. What do you think ?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,044 Posts
I would not recommend an ATF flush, if it hasn't been done previously, especially with the amount of miles you have. The safer option is a drain & refill regiment. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: splatmatt

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,345 Posts
I agree with the drain and refill advice. The "regiment" is doing a drain and refill several times in order to thoroughly dilute the remaining old fluid with new fluid. If it were mine I would use Subaru Certified ATF-HP fluid.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,217 Posts
I did a drain and fill every 10-15 K miles. 190K miles and still working great.

Drain on the level. About 8 oz short of a gallon will come out. Fill with the same amount. Remove the plug on the FLAT pan underneath. I guarantee you that if you drain it all ..8 oz less than a gallon will work. Do this 3 times within the next 10K miles and then ever 10K miles since you have not done it yet. Subaru HP tranny fluid.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,345 Posts
On my 2010, my dealer did an auto transmission fluid flush at 150k miles with no consequences. However, my transmission fluid had been previously serviced every 30k miles so there was little risk.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,929 Posts
I have a 2010 2.5X with 4 speed automatic. 105K. I called a very trusted transmission man in my area about a trans flush. I don't know if it's been done before. He says the varnish deposits will dislodge and cause problems. He says don't touch it unless it's malfunctioning which it isn't. The fluid is clean. What do you think ?
Ditto on the flush. Bad idea.
You can find folks on the forum who've had issues after a flush, but none after a drain and fill.
New fluid in anything isn't a bad idea.
I've done two so far on my 12 4EAT and will do another.
Each time the fluid on the dipstick looks more "in the pink".
I've driven about 500 miles between drains to let the fluid have a chance to migrate through.
It's very easy to do, albeit messy... Pick up a few crush washers from the dealer/online if you want to do it right, as they are intended to be single use items.
If you buy a case of 12 Subaru HP-ATF online, you can get a discount and it will be enough for 3 changes, which seems to be the magic number..
The dealer wanted a lot of money for what is an incredibly easy job.
Do it yourself and save some money.
You just need a socket and a torque wrench and a turkey pan.
Remove, drain, replace the washer and torque the bolt.
Pour in the same amount of new fluid. You'll need a funnel. Repeat after some miles.

You will note a big difference in the fluid.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,929 Posts
A good place...
I'd suggest you shop around because prices change. Any will likely be better than full retail at the dealer.
If you do a search on the part #SOA427V1500 you will find there are many stores and the best is the one with the best price when you are looking.
Be sure to calculate shipping.. Sometimes what appears to be the best price isn't. ;-)
There are also equivalents, but I prefer to have an invoice for the OEM..

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium automatic
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the updates. I'll definitely go with the drain and fill option.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,929 Posts
@carguy1949 ,
One last thing.. ATF has the viscosity of water, so when you are about to remove the plug, make sure your pan is positioned because the fluid comes out fast.
A rubber glove is a good idea as you are removing the plug so you don't get used ATF all over it.
It's not a great skin lotion.. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts