Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but here goes. Owners manual calls for 10 qts. at fluid/filter change but that puts the level well above the high point on the dipstick.So should I follow the manual or the stick? Right now I'm going by the stick but I don't want to trash the tranny. Thanks to all.

G

·
Did you fill the correct dipstick? The ATF dipstick is on the driver's side; the front diff is on the passenger's side.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but here goes. Owners manual calls for 10 qts. at fluid/filter change but that puts the level well above the high point on the dipstick.So should I follow the manual or the stick? Right now I'm going by the stick but I don't want to trash the tranny. Thanks to all.
As another user noted, you can only drain out 3+ quarts at a time. Replace the 3+ quarts. Drive a while. Repeat. After 3 drain/refill cycles, you will have replaced about 90% of the fluid.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
also the level is checked running. More accuracy is obtained when the vehicle has been run (hot)

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.When I changed the fluid and filter I seem to remember about 8 qts. total drained so I initially thought the PO had left it low. Checking the level again after doing my valve cover gaskets last night(actually not that hard,although my svx were easier!) I noticed I was down below the low cold line so I just added 2qts and will watch it. The 3 qt. drain is new to me. That must be without a filter change.Thanks again for the tips.

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
Thanks everyone.When I changed the fluid and filter I seem to remember about 8 qts. total drained so I initially thought the PO had left it low. Checking the level again after doing my valve cover gaskets last night(actually not that hard,although my svx were easier!) I noticed I was down below the low cold line so I just added 2qts and will watch it. The 3 qt. drain is new to me. That must be without a filter change.Thanks again for the tips.
Without the filter its 3 3/4 quart. I think its anaditional 1 to 1.5 qts..

Did you put a genuine Subaru ATF filter back in??

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
adc, No i used a filter/gasket kit from autozone. I was looking at a haynes manual a friend has(for leggies) and it also says the 2.5 gets 10qts w/filter change. Weird. Now I have to get a new pan as mine is rusted to the point it has perforated the inside.rust. it's what makes subaru a subaru.:icon_frown:

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
adc, No i used a filter/gasket kit from autozone. I was looking at a haynes manual a friend has(for leggies) and it also says the 2.5 gets 10qts w/filter change. Weird. Now I have to get a new pan as mine is rusted to the point it has perforated the inside.rust. it's what makes subaru a subaru.:icon_frown:
Don't use the aftermarket filter. It filters all of the oil on every pass and therefore drops the flows/pressures. The subaru filter only filters a small portion of the flow on every pass. There have been anecdotal reports of tranny problems due to using the aftermarket filter.

I personally have changed the filter and drained the pan. I am 100 percent sure that amount was less than 6 quarts.

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Thanks for the tip. I'm replacing the pan because it's rusted through so I'll grab a filter when i pick up the pan.$80.00 ouch:icon_sad:

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
Ok. Thanks for the tip. I'm replacing the pan because it's rusted through so I'll grab a filter when i pick up the pan.$80.00 ouch:icon_sad:
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks adc. So after looking all over this tranny for an external filter I find that there isn't one because apparently it's an early model foz.What is behind the pan is just a strainer. Build date 4-97. Is there an external add-on filter available? Also found out 10qts is max with TC drain included. Thanks to all. Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts