Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT w/ 4WD on demand
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I ran across a post on ORS.com talking about taking an OB on the TAT, wondering what that was I looked it up. I discovered it was a trail across America on dirt roads only being mainly for motorcycles and that starts in Asheville NC, where I grew up -AND I NEVER KNEW ABOUT IT :mob: .
I am really excited the US has something like this and I want to gather all the information I can and drive it, hopefully within the next year or 2.

Have any of you rode or drove part/all of it and besides the TAT's website where can I find further information? BLUEFOX you would be GREAT help with the MOAB and Black Bear Pass sections as you have done some/most/all of that if I recall.
(P.S. I also dropped your name on ORS.com)

AND, potentially how many would want to do the whole trail or join up on parts as a group?

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R 5 EAT
478 Posts
Sounds terrific. Unfortunately, there is no chance I could pull this off in any future worth considering. I do plan to do the San Juan mountains in 2015. A Utah section is always tempting. Do you know what exactly roads/trails it includes there?

I tried to look for this on the ORS site but could not find it, so I am posting here.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ORS LINK

Not sure, haven't had time to look at the trail maps yet, but Land Rover did a quick video of the whole trail and mentioned Black Bear Pass and the MOAB, thats all I know about out west, for now.

you tube video

I'm thinking of doing a late summer trip this year from Asheville to as far west in TN as I can get before college starts back. Do kind of a trial, run find out what I need and what I can lose.

·
Registered
2007 forester xt sports autotragic
54 Posts
I would love to do this! I think it would be cool if we could get a bunch of local forester and do a section or two of this thing!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
45 Posts
I have long dreamed of driving coast to coast on dirt roads. I will be keeping an eye out for which route they take through VA, hopefully I can try and contribute.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
15 Posts
I'm in MO, but if this route goes near here, I would definitely be interested in jumping in on the group as it passes thru!

·
Registered
2006 XT auto?
8 Posts
I am new around here, but have spent time on Adventure Rider and on Expedition Portal. I have seen quite a bit about TAT on ADV but not so much on EP. I seem to recall that large sections are too narrow for 4 wheels and that the roll charts are only set up to go east to west.

I hope i am wrong about the trail width, and or you can come up with a work around.

Good luck! Post up a ride report if you do it!

Elseanno

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry for not being on this board in a while, just havent had time to think about doing this.

So whos up for a TAT trip? I'm thinking a weekend excursion sometime this summer. Kinda make it like DGM but for the off road guys. Start in Asheville and wind up in ?, Still gotta look at/get the maps. Maybe we can coordinate with yall guys out West and break the trail down in segments and post those pictures online to make one big adventure.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Limit CVT
291 Posts
I wish I could

I posted another thread about that landrover TAT video.
it looks awesome, and definitely somethign I would like to do, but likely will be bucket list thing.
need more time, and from what I've seen of that route, there are some parts that I'd prefer to have skid plates and better tires for, at the very least.

You guys should try to get a larger crew and reach out to subaru for some sponsorship or something.
I'd love to see some Land Rover like videos of what the subarus can do.

good luck and keep us all posted if you guys do any part of that trail.

·
Registered
04 XT Limited 4eat
150 Posts
Sorry for not being on this board in a while, just havent had time to think about doing this.

So whos up for a TAT trip? I'm thinking a weekend excursion sometime this summer. Kinda make it like DGM but for the off road guys. Start in Asheville and wind up in ?, Still gotta look at/get the maps. Maybe we can coordinate with yall guys out West and break the trail down in segments and post those pictures online to make one big adventure.

I'm down for a weekend adventure, depending on the weekend of course. Me and a buddy who owns a modified jeep and stock Tacoma have been talking about doing one weekend this summer anyway. The more the merrier I say! Keep me informed via pm (so I'll get an email) and let's try and go on a summer adventure!

·
Registered
2001 Frester S Auto
122 Posts
Hello. I could be interested in doing part of the TAT.

I am a dualspaz motorcycle rider and have heard much about this TAT. ADVrider.com could be a good source, looking through posted ride reports, maybe could even get some GPS tracks to follow. I did Black Bear on my '08 KTM 250excf-w and walked my bike over the crux of it.....wussy?....maybe but the consequences were just too high for me. My palms sweat just watching Bluefox's video of it.

I would be into joining a group that came through. It would be cool to start a group in the West and another in the East, each gaining folks along the way, and have them meet in the middle.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
96 Posts
I have the GPS maps of the NC and TN sections. Have been looking at the routs and it seems it is mostly FS roads and a good bit on small town roads.

I may be giving it a shot as an exploring expedition. Im always looking for primitive off the beaten path camping and cool town.

·
Registered
04 XT Limited 4eat
150 Posts
I have the GPS maps of the NC and TN sections. Have been looking at the routs and it seems it is mostly FS roads and a good bit on small town roads.

I may be giving it a shot as an exploring expedition. Im always looking for primitive off the beaten path camping and cool town.
Quit thinking about it and do it! I'll join you for a weekend expedition.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts