Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install a simple, small, tube and fin style auxiliary cooler in front of the condenser? Seems like the center radiator support is in the way of the connection nipples, if installed horizontally, and the loops on the other end are already up against the frame for the headlight cavity. I wondered if installing it vertically would make more sense in the 1st or second gen Foresters (see thumbnails) I don't want to spend more $$$ on a fancy plate and fin style cooler, I just want to prolong the life of the transmission in the hot summers of south central Texas.

I'm also not finding a consensus in a search for which line feeding into the radiator is the return line for the transmission. Some older posts are saying it's the longer hose that connects to the passenger side, but that hose felt a little hotter to the touch after idling the car for 60 seconds. I'm leaning toward the driver side port as the return hose. I can't see the "arrows" on the hoses that some people refer to as an indicator, because this car was involved in a moderate front collision prior to me buying it. Anybody know for sure?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,785 Posts
Hot air cooling the tranny oil is totally wasteful and ineffective IMHO.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bobby, I did see that diagram, and I was skeptical, until I unhooked the driver side line and checked which end that the fluid was flowing from when i turned it on in drive, then I realized the diagram was correct. I ended up mounting it vertically, with the fins horizontal. I added a bottle of Lubegard Red and about 60ml of DexronIII/Mercon to it, for the increased displacement volume of the cooler and extra tubing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
to be the most effective , the transmission cooler must be in front of the radiator and AC components to get the cooler air before it is warmed up by coolant, NOT behind radiator or in engine bay etc, use at least a 4 row cooler.............., and a tube/fin type is easier to spot problems than a contained tank/fin type, , i have used both types ,............... double clamping of hose end to where it mounts on tube.line. stub ends is also desired for security with a 4x8 tube.fin type over the central radiator area expect a 60 to 90 degree drop in atf, and a small rise in coolant temps. yes it is worth the work if you zooom around , sit in traffic a lot or tow at all ,............... atf additives are not really needed, but fresh atf is , and adding the same amount as the volume of the cooler and lines is mandatory to prevent air bubbles and low atf level

1 - 6 of 6 Posts