Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
For the rear diff on both trannys and front diff on a 4EAT I use Redline 75-90NS. You will be fine using Redline 75-90 too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peaty said:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3091

I use Redline Shockproof in the tranny

in the rear I use Redline 75W-90 not the NS but it won't matter the rear LSD is sealed.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3

-----

I have an 03 X, so I don't have the LSD :( does the NS or non NS matter still? Which is better?

As for the tranny, shockproof??? Isn't that a little thich :shock:

<--need education :) BTW I live in -40 degree climated....

thanks

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Anybody running Amsoil? I noticed the local Subi dealer near my house is promoting Motul.......that stuff any good? :?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
+1 For Redline Shockproof for the MT.
Unless you live in a warm climate you should stay away from the heavyweight. I have a hard time getting into 1st when the fluid is still cold. Once it has warmed up it works great!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
177 Posts
I think I'll stick to OEM tranny and diff fluids. I have tried Redline products in my RS (even used Uncle Scotty's blend for a while) and they were marginally better than before. But the day I drove my Forester w/ 7000 miles, I can shift better than my old RS.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Shockproof oil

Cold = ultralightweight shockproof
Both = lightweight shockproof (Bluestuff that I use) good for both climates
Hot = heavyweight shockproof

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
How much is that stuff (lightweight or 'both') per qt compared to regular 'dino' stuff? :?

·
Registered
24 Posts
SuperRu said:
For the rear diff on both trannys and front diff on a 4EAT I use Redline 75-90NS. You will be fine using Redline 75-90 too.
I want to change fluids in the spring and was thinking synthetic. I see here that Redline is popular. You recommend 75-90 or 75-90ns in both diffs, what do you recommend for the tranny (4EAT)?

Thanks

·
admin
7,251 Posts
XT4ME said:
..... what do you recommend for the tranny (4EAT)?

Thanks
After a several hour search over @ Bob is the Oil Guy Forums, I've decided to use Chevron Dexron III in both of our 4EAT's. It's not the fanciest fluid but it is cheap and performs well.
With each engine oil change I drain and refill out 4EAT's. The amount of oil drained varies from 3.5 to 4.5 quarts. So I measure it each time and add back that same amount of fresh fluid. I get more to drain out of the 98 than I do with the 04.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Actually, Redline does NOT recommend the use of shockproof in our trannys. I know plenty of people have used the shockproof without incident but thought i'd offer this info as it comes straight from their site.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you all for the info. I have also been told by a friend (mechanic) that it's okay for syn's in the differentials but I should stick with OEM for the tranny. Wow! That's a suprise, only 3.5 to 4.5 quarts drain out. I was planning on about 9. Just saved myself some $$ :lol:

·
admin
7,251 Posts
XT4ME said:
Thank you all for the info. I have also been told by a friend (mechanic) that it's okay for syn's in the differentials but I should stick with OEM for the tranny. Wow! That's a suprise, only 3.5 to 4.5 quarts drain out. I was planning on about 9. Just saved myself some $$ :lol:
The torque converter has a bunch of fluid sitting in it. It doesn't drain out when you remove the tranny pan bolt .

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I use Royal purple 75W90 great stuff but in the spring I'm going to try Redline Lightweight shockproof gear oil

1 - 20 of 27 Posts