Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Your Forester can almost certainly pull more than 1500 lb, In other countries they are rated to over 3,000 lb. However, there may be legal and insurance issues with exceeding the makers rating in the U.S. If you have an accident while pulling more than 1,500 lb will your insurance pay?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't what type of Forester you got, but my Forester SJ in Europe is rated to 2000 kg or roughly 4400 lb. Just came back from vacation towing a 1200 kg/2600 lb caravan. Not a problem. Biggest load I have had behind, was a 1600 kg/3500 lb twin-axle trailer. Just fine. There might be legal implications in your location as to how much you can tow, but the car should cope with a 1500 lb trailer.

Subaru recommends (on my car at least) to increase the tire pressure from 2.1 bar to 2.7 bar on the rear tires - and I have found that this is important to do. Otherwise, the rearend gets a little "loose" or how I should put it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
American version is rated at 1500 lbs. It’s been said before but I’m wondering if they’re worried about the transmission.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think if that were the case, the manuals would have been rated for more.

I think it's a combination of things --- mostly lawyers and people who don't know how to tow. It saves Subaru from liability and warranty claims. Also, if people really want a Subaru and want to tow, they can step up to the Outback or Ascent.

It's a good way to drive people up market.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
It's a good way to drive people up market.
Bingo! Subaru decided that it wasn’t worth their risk in the litigious USA to allow people who bought the less-expensive Forester to tow the full amount it’s capable of. They will take the risk for the more expensive Outback or Ascent.

It’s BS, but at the same time important because of insurance. If my trailer is in an accident and kills someone, that won’t be a pretty legal fight if the trailer was over manufacturer weight limits. I could even open myself up to involuntary manslaughter charges.

I am personally bummed, since I used to tow well over a ton with my less-capable 2008 Outback. I might risk it on a short trip, or one that was mostly on dirt roads, but I won’t be doing much freeway driving with an over-limit trailer. Too much risk for my blood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts