Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for some help/suggestions/advice.

I have a ’08 Forester Sports X, I bought the vehicle with a salvaged title (rear-end collision) in 2013 and over the years of ownership have found more and more issues/signs that it wasn’t the "easy, body damage only" repair that I was told it was.

The current issue I’m trying to solve is my trailer hitch lights: The right brake light and right turn signal doesn’t work (the U-haul guy let me take the rental trailer anyways) but I couldn't find any blown fuses or any loose wire connections. The wiring harness I purchased years ago is a Curt (model #S0601).

The weird thing was that at night, in the dark, I could see that the right signal was actually continuously on (but VERY dim) and then would sometimes it would just sporadically turn on for a second. I use the hitch a lot but don't use the trailer lights very often, so I have no idea how long this issue has existed.

What/where should I be checking next? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,701 Posts
@matthewcallahan I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

The trailer connector wiring is know to get wet, corrode, sometimes burning & melting. This can cause strange issues! I'd recommend checking the connectors first. If those are dry & appear good, post that on this thread & we can dig deeper. :wink:

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bobby! Thanks for the welcome.

All the connections looked totally fine and normal. No severe damage. I tried using some dielectric grease with no results. (I don't have the trailer anymore for testing.)'

-Matt C.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,701 Posts
To start the trouble shooting, first disconnect the chassis trailer connector from that Curt doodad. Verify everything functions correctly... test the connector leads with a meter or test light.

If you need the connector pin outs, take a look at this post I made on another thread. :wink:

If everything tests correctly, then reconnect the chassis connector to the Curt box & test on the output of that converter box. Unplug the cable to the trailer connector, if you can do this before testing, as this will give you a better test.
If it doesn't work properly there, then the Curt box could be faulty? :confused:

If the testing is good at the Curt output, then the problem is at the trailer connector...

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts