Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Maps screen I can turn 'Traffic' on and off. However, when Traffic is on I cannot see traffic information shown.

Anyone know how to get this working? Gone back to using my old trusty Tomtom :laugh:

Mobile phone is connected (data sharing enabled) in-case it needs that (although manual kinda says it doesnt... It is supposed to come via Starlink? Am I right in assuming i should see green/yellow/red etc. shown on the map to indicate traffic conditions...

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
If I recall, this data comes in via Sirius XM's traffic service. It will take a little bit of time for the data to update, usually no more than 3-4 minutes. Sirius XM broadcasts this data out in a loop, so the exact delay depends on exactly what part of the loop is being broadcast when your vehicle turns on.

Also, traffic doesn't seem to show anything unless it's congested. If traffic is good, you won't see any indicators.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, tried everything and just cannot get the Traffic information working. Was stuck in heavy traffic last night and not a mention of it by the car. Flicked my old Tomtom on and it told me about the congestion straight away :-(

I think the Forester 2019 SatNav is good as a backup. But if you have a good SatNav already, might be worth keeping hold of it (The one I've got auto re-routes if bypassing congestion would be quicker, has very up-to-date maps, if in congestion tells me approximate delay times etc.....). Wonder if I can hook it up to he car so it uses the car screen hmmm :)

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
247 Posts
Well, tried everything and just cannot get the Traffic information working. Was stuck in heavy traffic last night and not a mention of it by the car. Flicked my old Tomtom on and it told me about the congestion straight away :-(

I think the Forester 2019 SatNav is good as a backup. But if you have a good SatNav already, might be worth keeping hold of it (The one I've got auto re-routes if bypassing congestion would be quicker, has very up-to-date maps, if in congestion tells me approximate delay times etc.....). Wonder if I can hook it up to he car so it uses the car screen hmmm :)
If I connect my iPhone to the head unit with a USB cable, it activates Apple CarPlay, and I can use whatever nav app (Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze) I have as my preference. The only downside is that I usually have the iPhone in the center dash cubby, and the GPS antenna doesn't have all that great view of the sky. If you placed your phone on top of the dash, in front of the center info display (a nonskid mat might be a good idea here), it would have a great view of the sky for GPS nav. Google Maps has very good traffic data, much better than Sirius/XM, especially for smaller cities.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If I connect my iPhone to the head unit with a USB cable, it activates Apple CarPlay, and I can use whatever nav app (Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze) I have as my preference. The only downside is that I usually have the iPhone in the center dash cubby, and the GPS antenna doesn't have all that great view of the sky. If you placed your phone on top of the dash, in front of the center info display (a nonskid mat might be a good idea here), it would have a great view of the sky for GPS nav. Google Maps has very good traffic data, much better than Sirius/XM, especially for smaller cities.
I really don't understand why anyone that has a vehicle with AA or ACP would use anything else for nav- just silly.

When I upgraded the Flex to Sync 3 I purposely bought it without nav since it had AA.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
The in car Nav system has proved useful in a few limited instances. In Toronto, and several other "urban canyons" I could not get Waze to initialize on my smartphone because it could not find GPS signals. The car's Nav System with rooftop Shark Fin antenna had no problem and I was able to navigate out and switch to Waze later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, we have the Android Car Play on our phones but the TomTom Go 500 we have (there are other excellent sat-navs out there - no plugging the Tomtom lol) is much better than the Forester 2019 Satnav and we find the Google maps annoying as it tells us when a turn is too late.

As well as the Traffic issue with the in-car Satnav, the maps are hopelessly out of date. We did laugh when it tried to take us down a road that has been a dead-end for at least 3 years.

I've remounted the Tom Go 500. I'll use the car Satnav when Tom fails us (or the battery recharge doesnt work after a long sleep!). Slight shame as I was looking forward to ditching the power wire from the USB to the windscreen mounted Tom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts