Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wifes's subaru Outback VDC Wagon for a B9 Tribeca. We need to carry more than 5 people on occasion and since my kids are still small the B9 works out well for us. Just thougth I'd throw up some pics

Gauge needle sweep on start up:

More pics here:

http://tinyurl.com/8tbmt

There is an album on that page with side by side shots of my Forester and the B9.

There is a group website too here:

http://www.clubtribeca.org/

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I love that last shot with the B9 in the field. Good old countryside with state of the art machinery. Nice.

·
Mexican Lorider
2004 FXT 5MT
439 Posts
My wife wants one. Too bad we just bought her a Sienna just before it came out. She didnt like it in the pics but, fell in love with it once she sat in a 7-Pass Limited.
Looks good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
tre36 said:
I love that last shot with the B9 in the field. Good old countryside with state of the art machinery. Nice.
Yep - great shot Peaty! And one of the B9's better angles used to I see :wink: :wink:

Les. 8)

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
The gauge cluster is stunning to say the least !

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Can't wait to see what you come up to do with the B9. :wink: 8)

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
[flamesuit on] The bug deflector looks like a "breathe-rite" bandage [flamesuit off]

I have grown to like the looks of the B9, I just don't like how the deflector looks (this coming from a guy with a deflector on the fxt).

Like others, can't wait for your wonderful pages of modifications Peaty.

Michael

M

·
0 Posts
We don't get these in Australia...pretty weird looking but I can see how it may grow on you.
Nice pics!
Are these things offered with a Turbo? and how much are they?

·
Premium Member
04 XT
733 Posts
SnowMan said:
My wife wants one. Too bad we just bought her a Sienna just before it came out. She didnt like it in the pics but, fell in love with it once she sat in a 7-Pass Limited.
Looks good.
Someone stole my stolen avatar. :lol:

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best thing I can say is, it has a really nice personality :)

It seems to be very polarizing in the looks department to say the least. I don't think Subarus have ever been about looks, I wasn't crazy about my Forester when I got it having come off of an Impreza RS (GC8) which I think is one of the better (if not the best) looking Subarus going. I like the looks of my Forester now but I still would not call it great looking. I'm getting use to the B9's looks myself, strange thing is I've gotten some comments (from non Subaru people) about how much they like the looks. Go figure, I don't think I'll ever call it good looking. My wife seems to like it and I suppose that's the important thing :) My kids absolutely love it because of the DVD player and it has AUX in for the PS2 and what-not. With the middle row all the way back against the third row they have a huge amount of room. The middle row tilts back a nice amount too.

As far as mods there aren't too many things I will be doing to it in the performance area. This is my wife's ride and I'm limited mostly to the OEM things. So far the most radical think I have done is hard wire the radar detector :?

Right now it only has 450 miles on it but my impressions so far are good. While it is a large vehicle it handles like a much smaller one. The ride is very comfortable but I get good road feedback. It almost feels nimble. It seems like you are sitting up high but when you step out the ground is a lot closer than you'd expect. The inside is nicely set up. There are tons of small touches. All the foot wells are lit by dim red bulbs, all the doors have lights in them at the bottom not just the fronts. There is a small red spot light that shines down from the sun roof switch area that shines on the shift lever. There are even little blue lights that shine in each cup holder location in the center console. All sorts of neat little things I keep discovering. The stereo sounds fair (not as good as our McIntosh was) and it plays MP3s' on the disks. I like the stereo controls on the steering wheel. The tranny has a sport mode where it ups the shift points and it has sport shift. I haven't messed with that much because we are still breaking it in. It actually has a real horn too. This is the first time I've gotten a new Subaru and not had to change out the poor excuse for a horn.

Some of the complaints from my wife are that the A and B pillars are on the large side and the way we sit (kind of close up because we are not tall people) make it tough to see out at times. I wish it had memory seats, the front drivers side has an 11 way adjust and it takes a bit for me to get it the way I like. Also there is no place for change, I ended up getting a coin holder and putting it in one of the spots in the console. It fits well but I think there should have been something like that included somewhere. The glove box is also super small compared to every other Scooby I've had.

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>We don't get these in Australia

Funny that's where the front end protector was made.

>pretty weird looking but I can see how it may grow on you.

That's what I usually say but tend to add, like a fungus :wink:

>Are these things offered with a Turbo?

Not currently, it does not feel underpowered at all but one can always use more. I understand Cobb is making a supercharger kit, at least that is the rumor.

>how much are they?

Lots of info here:

http://www.subaru.com/shop/model_consideration.jsp?model=B9_TRIBECA

I got mine for list price at around 33K USD if I remember right. Mine is the 7 Pass limited with DVD entertainment we did not get the NAV system.[/quote]

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
C

·
0 Posts
Very nice. I hated the B9 at first, but it has really grown on me. If I were to "upsize" from the Forester, it would probably be the only thing I look at. That and an STi for the weekend, of course. :wink: 8)

·
Registered
1907 Forester
4 Posts
Peaty congrats on the B9 I drive one on sunday and I loved it. I am going to get one hopefully this year (starting a family). The only sad part is the forester is going to be a trade in. It will be the happiest sad day of my car buying history :cry:

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found something recently that annoys me with the B9. When I start the car it's very quiet. The gauges sweep (that's kind of cool) but then the also rest for a second or so at zero, then pop up. More than once I thought I did not start the car and turned it off and tried again (I have yet to try and start it again and grind the fly wheel) I'm getting use to it but it kind of bugs me :?

Found something I like though. For 10 bucks I got this hand held game thing that has two controllers with 15 built in games. Knock off games of space invaders, pong asteroids and stuff like that. Plug it in the AUX in and the kids are amazingly quiet...

·
Captain Obvious
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
379 Posts
bbottomley said:
Looks like driving a Christmas tree!
You're pining for them?

I too wish they were in the FXT. I liked the Legacy GT's gauges.

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gonna be busy messing with the B9 this weekend. I ordered a tranny cooler late last week from Ben (HondaSlayer) and it came in today :) I originally wanted to retrofit one but early on the OEM install manual indicated that it involved removing the front bumper skin. Not something I really wanted to do. Later they revised the instructions showing how you can get to it from the bottom. Looks pretty simple. There is a tranny line looped rubber hose to hook into right by the drivers side fog lamp so it will be plug and play for the most part. Here are a few pics of the cooler itself.

It should do the trick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts