Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched around here and wasnt' sure whether to post here or in drivetrain, also didn't find many other posts on this.

The other day I was driving on highway in medium rain going with flow at about 75-80mph (light throttle, just cruising), the traction control light flickered several times and I could feel it working. Cruise control was not on, of course, as it should never be used in rain or snow. Travelling in a straight line the traction control made the car feel unstable, I could feel different wheels getting brakes slightly applied! My 2010 never did this and it also had auto transmission with traction control.

Anybody else notice this or other times when the built-in stability system makes the car feel unstable?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, but in my 2010 Forester it never jittered around like my 2015 did the other day.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,864 Posts
Different vehicle means different tires and that in turns mean different traction. Newer vehicle probably means more sensitive traction control.

Different water levels? Different road/road conditions?

IMPO 80mph in the rain is invitation for hydro planing in any vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably hydroplaning to some extent, traction control seems more sensitive than 2010 model, maybe excessively.

Alignment had to touch up right front setting middle of summer due to excessive outside tread wear, shop said common on newer Subarus.

Yes, probably faster than should be driving in those conditions. :grin2::smile2:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
63 Posts
my 2010 Forester it never jittered around like my 2015 did the other day.
I felt this in my 2014 Forester on severe highway ice a couple winters ago with the stock Geolanders (terrible, TERRIBLE winter tires). Crazy feeling. Switched to Michelin X-Ice2 for winter and Defenders for summer and haven't felt out of control since. Minnesota.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
788 Posts
@Natedog
It is possible that you were hydroplaning, especially if you are on the stock tires. I think that SJ Forester’s traction/stability control is sometimes very “confused” (in the lack of better term).
I had at least 3 situation where I lost control of the vehicle for a brief moment and stability control intervened to early and I aggressive.
For the reference, I have very limited experience with at limit handling (except with old euro hot hatches without any nannies almost 20 years ago) but I don’t think I ever activated stability control in any modern vehicle and many of them I was driving way more aggressive (bmw X1, Audi A3).
I still think that SJ Forester has capable suspension but combination of bad stock tires and aggressive traction/stability control are ruining driving experience.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
18 Posts
I searched around here and wasnt' sure whether to post here or in drivetrain, also didn't find many other posts on this.

The other day I was driving on highway in medium rain going with flow at about 75-80mph (light throttle, just cruising), the traction control light flickered several times and I could feel it working. Cruise control was not on, of course, as it should never be used in rain or snow. Travelling in a straight line the traction control made the car feel unstable, I could feel different wheels getting brakes slightly applied! My 2010 never did this and it also had auto transmission with traction control.

Anybody else notice this or other times when the built-in stability system makes the car feel unstable?
Hydroplaning occurs based on tire pressure[assuming you have adequate tread depth]. The basic formula is 9 times the square root of the tire pressure equals speed at which hydroplaning begins. For example, if tire pressure is 36 psi, hydroplaning will occur above 54mph[ 6x9= 54. Obviously, this points out the importance checking your psi regularly as 25psi tires would hydroplane at 45mph.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Natedog
...I think that SJ Forester’s traction/stability control is sometimes very “confused” (in the lack of better term).
I had at least 3 situation where I lost control of the vehicle for a brief moment and stability control intervened to early and I aggressive.

I still think that SJ Forester has capable suspension but combination of bad stock tires and aggressive traction/stability control are ruining driving experience.
AGREED! Over-active traction control in the 2015 compared to my much better 2010!

Last week I replaced mediocre at best stock tires with Michelin X Tours T+H (same as Michelin Defender T+H) stock 225/60R17 size and car is much quieter, smoother and handles better, no surprise lol. Buddy said do the larger 225/65R17 but I don't off-road that much and feel it might not be great for the CVT and loss of acceleration.

As far as 'ghostwalking', it's not like that which sounds more like alignment problems especially in the rear. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts