Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm messing around in the snow. So I turn off the TC button to see if I can notice a difference But the only difference I can tell is the light is saying the TC is off but when I try and break traction I still get the clicking and the yellow light flashes just like when it is on. Also I left it off and drove down county roads at speed and it stayed off. Isn't it supposed to turn itself back on in this situation ?
Can any of you fellas explain what's happening ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
323 Posts
Only traction control is disabled. Stability control is still on. You cannot disable it unless you remove the ABS fuse.

Pretty sure its in the manual lol.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it is. But I'm laying on the couch with my dog on my chest and it's easier to ask here then to get off my *** and go into the garage.
Lol
Ok, but why do I still see the yellow info light triggering and hear the clicking at the wheels ?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) is the button you pushed.

This is Subaru's description of VDC

The driver’s driving habits are detected from the steering angle, engine speed, selected gear and braking conditions to constantly calculate the best driving mode for the vehicle. Actual driving conditions are monitored by each sensor. This electronic control system takes this information to constantly and automatically optimise traction and stability with a computer. Torque distribution between the front and rear wheels is optimised, torque distribution between left and right wheels is controlled when braking, and engine output also controlled in a flash, without hindering the sporty driving required by the driver, all to maintain a safe level of driving.
- SUBARU | Subaru Technology | Vehicle Dynamics Control System

In our vehicles you can push that button to "turn off VDC", at least that is what it tells you happens. It actually just relaxes the system, but it will still activate. I tested this on a gravel road and described it here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f62/first-experience-vdc-2014-xt-233922/

In my experience, which was sliding around a gravel corner, turning off VDC allowed me to slide more than with the system on. My back end got over far enough that I was probably at about 30 degrees in relation to the road. That is when the system activated. With VDC on I was able to slide much less before the system activated... probably closer to 10 degrees.

Also, unlike X-mode, I believe VDC will remain off until you either turn it back on with the button or until you shut off the vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premiun 6MT 6MT
98 Posts
I guess Subaru assumes you can drive.

I'm messing around in the snow. So I turn off the TC button to see if I can notice a difference But the only difference I can tell is the light is saying the TC is off but when I try and break traction I still get the clicking and the yellow light flashes just like when it is on. Also I left it off and drove down county roads at speed and it stayed off. Isn't it supposed to turn itself back on in this situation ?
Can any of you fellas explain what's happening ?

Vast difference between the nannies in a 14 Subaru Forester 6MT and my Wife's 11 Chevy Eqiunox.

The Chevy will make sure you go into the ditch helpless and head on. Shocking how in a low traction situation, the Chevy kills power, deadens the already dead steering, and trys to take cotrol of the car to keep it going straight ahead and will apply the brakes. "Jesus, or GM. take the wheel"

I played a bit with the Subaru. I did not push it hard, but it does let you drive the car during a slide. I think this is a good thing. I will leave the TC on the the Forester, while driving the NOx, if I'm somewhat alert, will choose to try to turn TC/ stability off, as much as it will let me.

Jan. 3, 2014.
Stabiliy control, I played hard over the last two days, and it works well without taking control from the driver. Subaru did a good job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts