Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for my wife's 2010 Outback.

Recently got a set of 5ZigenZR+ plus wheels (17x7 +47) and the TPMS rebuild kit (new valve stems, see below for a borrowed pic) from discounttiredirect. When I brought them to my shop to have the stock TPMS sensors and tires swapped, we find out that these valve stems are too big too fit into the valve stem hole on the wheels. Because these stems have the brass/metal collar at the top, it's not as easy to just lube it up and squeeze it in; hole needs to be ~1-2mm bigger. Is this a common issue others are seeing with other aftermarket wheels (seen others with the same issue doing a google search)?

Before I go and try and make the hole on the wheels bigger with a drill, could there be a smaller size valve stem that is compatible with the sensors under a different part number? This wheel and valve combination was said to have worked according to DTD. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Try the valve stems for the early TPMS in the Legacy, it used a metal stem that should be much smaller.

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
There are universal band/bracket kits that let you clamp a bracket to the inside of the rim by running a large worm clamp(hose clamp) around the drop center or well of the rim to hold the bracket. You then bolt the TPMS sensor to the bracket.

Here is one such kit.
Universal Mustang TPMS Sensor Mounting Band and Bracket (Set of Two) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Or you can use/try some of the other Airaware valve stems from another vehicle. The Legacy and Tribeca use a metal stem(nut and o-ring type) that works in some wheels and you can even look at stems for other makes such as Honda....

This is the Airaware stem(Airaware # 20036) for some Hondas. Due to its smaller size it fits in some wheels the OE stem for our cars wont. You may need to replace the mounting bolt that comes with it with one that has threads up to the head however. There are other stems to that will work, you just need to find them. Amazon is a good site to view what each stem looks like.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The metal style like above will probably work the best as it doesn't have to be forced through the wheel. Friend's outback came with them installed in the stock wheels, and they fit easily into aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
2011 Outback CVT
3 Posts
So that honda valve stem should connect to the Subaru TPMS with no problems? Might I be able to re-use the bolt from the Subaru TPMS? I dont want to take the tire off again unless im sure i can connect it as close to stock as possible. I'd rather not do the band bracket method.

Im sure the honda sensor will fit, just not sure it will connect to the TPMS

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
The Honda stem should work(or it does for some), you may have to swap the screw out for one threaded up to the head(hardware store/OE Subaru?)

The OEM Legacy TPMS stems fit most rims that require the nut/O-ring type stems.

Unfortunately some of this is just try and see. Use a tire shop that has TPMS stems on hand for various makes/models and find one that fits. Personally I hate the band kits, but some times there is no way around it with after market wheels.

·
Registered
2011 Outback CVT
3 Posts
Here is a solution which may work. Anyone care to chime in on this product?

"tpmssource" item number 897210TPMS-1 (i cant post URL without 15 posts)

tpmssource.com/(S(l0d02czpcvbtdx551qjnz1nx))/images/rs120.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts