Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined to see if others are having same problem with TPSM System as I am. Had car 3 months and dealer can’t fix issue. Regretting my purchase. Never had this problem with Honda or Toyota.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
518 Posts
Don't have any issues with TPSM system but am interested in what exactly is your problem?

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,896 Posts
Joined to see if others are having same problem with TPSM System as I am. Had car 3 months and dealer can’t fix issue. Regretting my purchase. Never had this problem with Honda or Toyota.
Lemon law is 3 trips to the dealer to fix the same problem in most states...
If they can't fix it, and you really regret the purchase, get a refund and buy a different car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't get what can't be fixed. In essence there are only two components of the system: sender (in tires) and receiver (connected to ecs/bcs). If something is wrong, replacement of either part(s) should fix.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
287 Posts
Geez, same problem as what?
His first post, and he is not a happy camper. I've done stuff like that when I'm perturbed. Best practice is to type up the post, then go away and do something else for a little bit. When you return and re-read it, I bet most would improve it with further edits.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
129 Posts
Re 2019 TPMS. I am expecting delivery of a 19 Touring next month. On my 2017 Touring, the TPMS amber high pressure caution light comes on at 40 psi. Anyone know what pressure trips the high pressure caution in the 2019?

·
Registered
2018 Forester
148 Posts
TPMS problem cannot be fixed, need updated download

That's right. Just today I got the bad news..
I yesterday switched my winter wheels back to summer ones.
At the beginning of the winter season I had a new set made up with new sensors installed and winter tires.
It worked fine all winter, then I switched back and I get the flashing error light, now I know the tires were good when I put them away for the winter,
so the story goes , the computer not only looks to the sensors but the location is vital too. So rotating your tires when you switch seasons wheels and tires gives an error, unless you put them exactly back in the same position.
Well I rotate my tires when I install the wheels.
So I guess I will always have a error light cause I will be switched back again next winter nad rotate too.
I guess you can switch one or two tires around but I'm told it's when you switch all four you get the error and they do not have an updated download to clear it.
I will be putting a sticker there to hide it.
Welcome to the world of high tech.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
823 Posts
@stilup Check page 331 of your owner’s manual (2019 Forester Owner’s Manual).

The wheel sending units have to be registered to the vehicle TPMS Receiver. Rotating tires doesn’t cause the TPMS light to illuminate. Changing wheels does, unless you migrate the existing sensors to the replacement wheels. Amazon sells a tool for around $50 that supposedly allows you to reprogram the TPMS Receiver.

Note: vehicles with individual wheel pressures displayed DO require reprogramming after wheel rotation, IF you wish for the correct tire pressure to display in the correct wheel location.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
148 Posts
Thanks FelineFreddie for that info. I did change wheels.
I do not have a 2019 owners manual.
I was just passing what I was told at the Subaru service.
Funny last fall when I installed four new winter wheels I did not have that problem.
I will look at Amazon for that tool.
Three different mechanics could not reprogram it, I wonder if Amazon's tool will.
I was told there needs to be an update from Subaru

Update:[ame]https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4/ref=lp_8307144011_1_2?srs=8307144011&ie=UTF8&qid=1555842955&sr=8-2[/ame]
Tool does not show compatibility for 2018 Forester. $139.95
I sent ATEQ an email asking for help.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
I do not have a 2019 owners manual.
I was just passing what I was told at the Subaru service.
Vehicle should have come with the Owner’s Manual. Retain a PDF version for your phone or gadget by downloading a copy from the Owners’s Center in the Subaru website.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So damn it wasn't a problem with the Subaru that you never had with a Honda or Toyota since they had simple systems.

See how you look when you rant before any knowledge?

·
Registered
21 Posts
@stilup Check page 331 of your owner’s manual (2019 Forester Owner’s Manual).

The wheel sending units have to be registered to the vehicle TPMS Receiver. Rotating tires doesn’t cause the TPMS light to illuminate. Changing wheels does, unless you migrate the existing sensors to the replacement wheels. Amazon sells a tool for around $50 that supposedly allows you to reprogram the TPMS Receiver.

Note: vehicles with individual wheel pressures displayed DO require reprogramming after wheel rotation, IF you wish for the correct tire pressure to display in the correct wheel location.
I read on the Outback forum that the TPMS system re-learns the positions. Is that either not true, or not true on the 2019 Forester? In other words, does one need something like the Autel TS508 to do a rotation?

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
820 Posts
My 2017 Impreza seemed to relearn positions when I rotated the tires. No one seems quite sure how it does this! (So if anyone out there does know the real answer, please share!)

·
Registered
353 Posts
My 2019 Forester relearned the TPMS positions after I rotated front to back. I didn't need to do anything. Correct pressure shows for each wheel position.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
823 Posts
My 2017 Impreza seemed to relearn positions when I rotated the tires. No one seems quite sure how it does this! (So if anyone out there does know the real answer, please share!)
Interesting... I know my 2014 BMW 2-Series relearns the correct wheel positions once the tires are rotated. I can actually verify that from my past experiences. Obviously, the receivers for the individual TPMS wheel sensors are located at each vehicle corner, so the vehicle “knows” the individual wheel transmitter location.

There appears to be quite a lot of “dis-information” on the Internet regarding whether or not reprogramming is required after tore rotation, and many companies selling “programming” tools push this belief.

I apparently didn’t do sufficient digging to verify the truth before making my previous post, and relied upon the claims of some of these programming instrument manufacturers.

·
Registered
4933 Forester
18 Posts
I know Fords have a TPMS system that does tire pressure by location. They claim the "learn" / teach which tire is where by placing the vehicle in a special "learning mode" and then spin the tires. Once the tires are learned the set it back to "normal" mode.

They recommend relearning after a FLAT tire, tire rotation or swapping wheels.

Maybe that is what going on here.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
820 Posts
Well, I didn't have to do anything special.

Folks more knowledgeable than myself say there is only a single pick-up antenna for the TPMS system (not one in each wheel well) so the most obvious answer of one in each wheel well doesn't seem to be the case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts