Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a diy method of testing The tpms system to check if it’s working? Either my tires pressure never gets low or there may be a system malfunction.

Can I just let air out of a tire to see if the system responds ? For each tire/sensor?
One at a time. ??

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
227 Posts
Can I just let air out of a tire to see if the system responds ? For each tire/sensor?
One at a time. ??
That would be difficult, because the TPMS sensors only activate when moving or when a magnet is placed next to the valve stem. You might have to drive around the block after deflating each tire.

Or you could buy a handheld TPMS sensor that comes with a magnet and use that. I just got an Autel TS601 that will both sense TPMS and reprogram the car (it has a very complete OBDII sensor with real-time stats and graphing as well as programming and tests). It cost around $280, but you can get a TPMS sensor only for under $50 if you don’t need to reprogram. I am doing a 5 tire rotation, so I want to reprogram the sensors myself.

One nice thing about a TPMS sensor is you can check the PSI on each tire while the car is parked.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
[QUOTE="Banjor, post: 7571742, member: ]

One nice thing about a TPMS sensor is you can check the PSI on each tire while the car is parked.
[/QUOTE]2$ pencil gauge...:eek::)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[QUOTE="Banjor, post: 7571742, member: ]

2$ pencil gauge...:eek::)
[/QUOTE]
Pencil gages are notoriously inaccurate. Even a good digital is not perfect. Thank you Banjor. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be difficult, because the TPMS sensors only activate when moving or when a magnet is placed next to the valve stem. You might have to drive around the block after deflating each tire.

Or you could buy a handheld TPMS sensor that comes with a magnet and use that. I just got an Autel TS601 that will both sense TPMS and reprogram the car (it has a very complete OBDII sensor with real-time stats and graphing as well as programming and tests). It cost around $280, but you can get a TPMS sensor only for under $50 if you don’t need to reprogram. I am doing a 5 tire rotation, so I want to reprogram the sensors myself.

Banjor. Where did you get your TS601 for $280? New? That’s a good price.
I’m going to order one soon. Thanks

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Banjor. Where did you get your TS601 for $280? New? That’s a good price.
I’m going to order one soon. Thanks
I got mine on Amazon. It said “Special Price” but I didn’t realize it was a limited-time deal. Now it’s up to $365. Still, that’s about half the price of most of the competitors that have the same features.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I just checked, and the Autel TS501 has all the TPMS functions and will reprogram your TPMS via OBD2, but it doesn’t do other OBD2 diagnostics/tests. It’s $235 on Amazon. Considering how big these units are, that might not be bad, you can get a cheap portable OBD2 diagnostic for the glovebox and keep this in the garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts