Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per this article, there have been 37 deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning from keyless-start cars, often hybrids, being accidentally left on when parked in garages. One of the latest incidents involved a retired MIT professor and his wife, a retired senior official in the University of Massachusetts system.

Toyota cars will now turn themselves off if you forget

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,936 Posts
Hmm, interesting.

I have another great idea... Um, it's going to be controversial, but let's try it. How about... You shutoff your car when you leave it. I know, crazy, right? Absolutely unpossible for such a thing to be done. It's not like the car let's you know when you step away from it with the keys in your pocket. You know what I mean.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
123 Posts
I sometimes have a hard time telling if my foz is in auto shutoff or is off. I need to RTFM to figure out what to look at. I does beep at me when I open the door, but then I feel like an idiot :) I figured out how to tell when it is locked by the rate of the flashing red "PARK".

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
It’s not that hard to tell if it Auto-Shutoff, there’s an icon on screen. Also, if it did turn off and you put shifter into park it will just start back up.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,335 Posts
Here's a personal experience, somewhat embarrassing, but...

We rented a condo in Banff which had closed garage parking underneath. I was driving a rental car that I was not familiar with, a Nissan Altima. We were leaving to hike with some friends so I had the car out of the garage. Friends decided to drive so I pulled the Altima back into the garage. I hit Push-to-Stop engine but apparently not long enough. Later that day, after about 8 hours, we returned and my friend pulled his car into the garage. He then reported to me that I had left my lights on and they looked weak. When I went out to the Altima I noticed that the daytime running lights were on and that the engine was running. Fortunately nobody was killed from carbon monoxide poisoning but that's how easy it can happen, especially with a unfamiliar car.

I find it interesting that there have been more people killed from Push-to-Start than Takata air bag inflator explosions, yet little to nothing has been done to address the Push-to-Start deaths.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
845 Posts
Here's a personal experience, somewhat embarrassing, but...

We rented a condo in Banff which had closed garage parking underneath. I was driving a rental car that I was not familiar with, a Nissan Altima. We were leaving to hike with some friends so I had the car out of the garage. Friends decided to drive so I pulled the Altima back into the garage. I hit Push-to-Stop engine but apparently not long enough. Later that day, after about 8 hours, we returned and my friend pulled his car into the garage. He then reported to me that I had left my lights on and they looked weak. When I went out to the Altima I noticed that the daytime running lights were on and that the engine was running. Fortunately nobody was killed from carbon monoxide poisoning but that's how easy it can happen, especially with a unfamiliar car.

I find it interesting that there have been more people killed from Push-to-Start than Takata air bag inflator explosions, yet little to nothing has been done to address the Push-to-Start deaths.
I had a former co-worker that had a similar experience, but in his case, it was a Toyota hybrid, and unfortunately it had a darker outcome. In 2013, both he and his wife died from CO poisoning as the fumes rose through the floor into their living space. As far as I know, the family is still involved in legal action against Toyota..,

https://www.wyff4.com/article/police-car-left-running-in-garage-caused-couple-s-deaths/7004692

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is a good idea since keyless start has led to this unfortunate unattended consequence. I wonder how it will be implemented since I know a few pet owners who leave vehicles running in the summer to maintain air conditioning for their pets. Are we now going to have pet deaths due to auto shutoff?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
123 Posts
A good reminder of why you need CO detectors throughout your house in addition to fire and smoke alarms. Very sad.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
I sometimes have a hard time telling if my foz is in auto shutoff or is off. I need to RTFM to figure out what to look at. I does beep at me when I open the door, but then I feel like an idiot :) I figured out how to tell when it is locked by the rate of the flashing red "PARK".
Since this is my first vehicle with this feature I have been worried about leaving my Forester running by accident. So I just make sure that my top info screen says 'GOODBYE' on it before I leave the vehicle.

Reactions: a1penguin

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Tragic, yes, but this is problem that has been created where one never existed. Though the solution is as simple as it ever was, a lock cylinder and a key. Inset key and rotate clockwise to start, turn it counterclockwise and remove the key after you've parked. The same way it's been done for many many years. Oh, the inconvenience of having to put a key in a hole and rotate it slightly forward. I really feel for the people affected by this issue, but perhaps we need to address personal responsibility as well. I'm willing to bet that it's stated very clearly in the owner's manual how to properly shutdown the vehicle... you know, the book that almost nobody reads. Surely there have been non-suicide deaths due to CO poisoning attributed to leaving a car running with a traditional ignition system. Was it the manufactures fault in those situations or the operator?

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
942 Posts
Ive tried to start an already running car before, usually after being distracted talking with someone, but i just chalked it up to my own idiocy. Just turn the car off. If you can't manage this, its time to start using alternate transportation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts