Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a Toyota Matrix rental car. What a piece of ____.

Cheap interior
rough ride
rattle trap
loud engine
crappy stereo
Odd shifter location (below radio and not where every other shifter is located)

Utter dissappointment. Toyota quality...........:evilatyou:

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
356 Posts
jajaja. all you say is true. I have a Matrix XRS, however, and even though all of the above is correct, it is pretty fast. doesn't match the forester quality, though. I think those cars are Canadian, not 100% japanese. as we know, there is also the american version. I forget its name...

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
55 Posts
jajaja. all you say is true. I have a Matrix XRS, however, and even though all of the above is correct, it is pretty fast. doesn't match the forester quality, though. I think those cars are Canadian, not 100% japanese. as we know, there is also the american version. I forget its name...
The Pontiac Vibe would be the US version. I hated it. My sister earned one through Mary Kay cosmetics and i did not enjoy riding in it at all. seamed like a POS. this was at the same time that i had my OBS so i knew what a proper wagon should be like.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Hmm I've been driving a Matrix XR alongside the Forester for years and it isn't THAT bad. It's actually MUCH quieter than my Forester (but my Forester is unusually loud), has a better ride (stuck the Forester's Michellin Exaltos in 60 profile on there and it is PLUSH albeit with much more roll), no rattles in mine, QUIET engine (rentals tend to get loud from abuse), yeah the stereo sucks, yeah odd shifter location.

But overall, a good commuter car. Not sure about the newer gen though. All the Toyota mechanics and techs have been saying that Toyota has been abusing the customer since the 90s, refusing to fix parts prone to break and just sticking the same old part in there. The pedal issue just happens to have brought their focus on profits and neglect of quality to light.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
If I didn't want AWD and wanted a smallish car I would consider the Toyota Matrix for sure and compare to Corolla and other brands. I think it's a lot cheaper than a Forester, so you get what you pay for mostly?!

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
356 Posts
its quieter, specially for wind noise. And the 6 speed tranny is very close ratioed which is good; it also has a lot shorter shifter than the forester. Final drive are about the same to the point were cruising at 60mph equals to about 2600RPM in the FXT as opposed to 2900RPM in the Matrix with 6th engaged. The forester rattles a lot more than the Matrix.

The steering ratio is more aggressive in the Matrix. The forester ratio sucks. I'm dying to slap in an STI one.

Ohh, and almost forgot...the Matrix brakes a lot better with more firm feel and aided also by its ridiculously low curb weight. But I do have braided brake lines in it with good pads and fresh Motul 5.1 so its not really fair since I'm waiting to find some 06 wrx calipers to fix the brakes in the FXT.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I had a Chevy HHR rental once that I thought was less than the Forester. Wouldn't quite call it a POS but it didn't feel all that great either. Not sure how cost compares.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 3 of the rental.

I have the base version.

One 1 12v outlet in the car. Come one Toyota. Dont the Japanese have iPods AND GPS units.
The suspension is rather harsh. Drove on a bad road and thought I was going to lose my fillings.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I traded an HHR on my Forester. I liked it but Chevrolet gave me the finger on trying to resolve a transmission problem... claimed it didn't have a problem when it was in fact intermittent. No more bow ties for me.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Day 3 of the rental.

I have the base version.

One 1 12v outlet in the car. Come one Toyota. Dont the Japanese have iPods AND GPS units.
The suspension is rather harsh. Drove on a bad road and thought I was going to lose my fillings.
My mom has owned the first year model and now owns the 2009 XRS, overall both decent cars for a DD.

The older one was a base, bare minimums, underpowered, however, it handled great with the stiff suspension and got great mpg (~40), it had a hatch too lol.

The '09 XRS has too much power for the car and eats tires quickly, torque steers, and isn't great on gas either. Handles great too, but at a price, would never wanna take em off well maintained roads.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
All the Toyota mechanics and techs have been saying that Toyota has been abusing the customer since the 90s, refusing to fix parts prone to break and just sticking the same old part in there. The pedal issue just happens to have brought their focus on profits and neglect of quality to light.
Amen to that.

Friend had an 08 Matrix that ate tires in 5K miles. Dealer couldn't line it up. Independent shop couldn't line it up. traded it back at the Toyota dealer for a used Honda Civic.

The 04 Toyota Camry I bought new (and had dealer serviced most of the time) had 6 major warranty repairs, including a transaxle replacement, partial re-paint due to rust and an A/C compressor failure in the first 20K. At 37,100 miles (just 1,100 miles out of the 3/36 bumper to bumper) the intermediate steering shaft began to bang and clunk- a known Toyota problem from '02 to '05. Service manager said "too bad-you pay". Opened a case with Toyota- they said "too bad you pay". Then at 57K the engine refused to warm-up and it ran like crap, however no check engine light. I had to pay a $75 diagnostic fee-which found five or six codes stored-event hough the check engine light never came on. $385 later (plus the $75) I had a new MAP sensor and new thermostat. I said- It is still under the 5/60K powertrain warranty. Toyota said -No sensors and the thermostat aren't covered. Tried for an emission warranty claim, Nope- tough skeet. Swore then I'd never buy another Toyota.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
356 Posts
Amen to that.

Friend had an 08 Matrix that ate tires in 5K miles. Dealer couldn't line it up. Independent shop couldn't line it up. traded it back at the Toyota dealer for a used Honda Civic.

The 04 Toyota Camry I bought new (and had dealer serviced most of the time) had 6 major warranty repairs, including a transaxle replacement, partial re-paint due to rust and an A/C compressor failure in the first 20K. At 37,100 miles (just 1,100 miles out of the 3/36 bumper to bumper) the intermediate steering shaft began to bang and clunk- a known Toyota problem from '02 to '05. Service manager said "too bad-you pay". Opened a case with Toyota- they said "too bad you pay". Then at 57K the engine refused to warm-up and it ran like crap, however no check engine light. I had to pay a $75 diagnostic fee-which found five or six codes stored-event hough the check engine light never came on. $385 later (plus the $75) I had a new MAP sensor and new thermostat. I said- It is still under the 5/60K powertrain warranty. Toyota said -No sensors and the thermostat aren't covered. Tried for an emission warranty claim, Nope- tough skeet. Swore then I'd never buy another Toyota.
no car in this planet is perfect. and certainly no company is absent of operational wicked strategies to improve profit.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
356 Posts
My mom has owned the first year model and now owns the 2009 XRS, overall both decent cars for a DD.

The older one was a base, bare minimums, underpowered, however, it handled great with the stiff suspension and got great mpg (~40), it had a hatch too lol.

The '09 XRS has too much power for the car and eats tires quickly, torque steers, and isn't great on gas either. Handles great too, but at a price, would never wanna take em off well maintained roads.
well said! I did forgot to mention mileage. My 05 XRS does 31mpg and with a dirty Injen intake. Stock it pulled 32mpg easily.

I would like to add to your statement that even though the new Corollas and Matrix have XRS badging, they don't have the Celica GTS/Lotus Exige Yamaha 2ZZ engine with VVTL-i that revs to 8500RPM or even worst the 6 speed tranny. Talk about a downgrade...

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
I had a Chevy HHR rental once that I thought was less than the Forester. Wouldn't quite call it a POS
I would!:puke:

no car in this planet is perfect. and certainly no company is absent of operational wicked strategies to improve profit.
No company really cares about ANYTHING except $$. If they pretend to care about other things like quality or the customer, it's just so that they can make more $$.:shake:

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
well said! I did forgot to mention mileage. My 05 XRS does 31mpg and with a dirty Injen intake. Stock it pulled 32mpg easily.

I would like to add to your statement that even though the new Corollas and Matrix have XRS badging, they don't have the Celica GTS/Lotus Exige Yamaha 2ZZ engine with VVTL-i that revs to 8500RPM or even worst the 6 speed tranny. Talk about a downgrade...
Yeah, my mom is pushing the dealer to pay for tires because the '09 XRS eats them, if they don't pay she is taking them to court (she has a law degree and can ruin that dealership in the community easy lol).

On the upside, after this incident she says that she is definitely getting a dependable Subaru (I highly suggested the Outback, suits her needs and she agress). I shall convert my entire family within the next few years, got all my inlaws hooked on the Legacy platform!

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
356 Posts
I got hooked once I felt the turbo! At first I did not like the scoop and felt awkward. But I got used to it quickly and now love the acceleration, specially in the rain..

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Day 3 of the rental.

I have the base version.

Base version Corrolla (Matrix) will always feel cheap...especially if you're used to driving an FXT! As for the suspension, not nearly as stout as a Forester's, and the problem may be compounded by the fact that this is a rental car. I don't think it's drivers much care if they pound the potholes or not.
My wife bought an 09 Corolla...LE. I tried to interest her in the Matrix equivalent, but she did not like the styling. When I drive her Corolla, it seems my butt feels every bump in the road...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,322 Posts
If I didn't want AWD and wanted a smallish car I would consider the Toyota Matrix for sure and compare to Corolla and other brands. I think it's a lot cheaper than a Forester, so you get what you pay for mostly?!
They're available in AWD. My brother-in-law's wife has one. Not that bad for a daily driver. I agreed to buy it off them next year when she's ready for the minivan as our daily driver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts