Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Art Director
2001 Forester S Automatic
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a rally car parked at the parking lot where I work and it's a Corolla done up to what looks like an open class build. I work in LA and it's a pretty unusual sight. I'm not sure whose car it is yet, but it doesn't look quite to spec.

The cage is offset from the roof and door like at least 6-7 inches.
So if you weren't wearing a helmet you are in danger of instant neck breaking death from the cage. I can't understand why anybody would build a cage like this.

Also, it has dinky rally lights not the big-a$$ PIAAs.
But the exhaust is 6" tip !!!!! I put my foot in it easily.
An interesting car for the streets of LA.
I'm thinking maybe somebody was using it on a video shoot around here.

Anyway, I was just wondering what anybody thought about Corollas as rally cars.
They must be dirt cheap to buy, parts seem to fit on it, I guess that's like SCCA claas 5 or 2 ? I forget which class is front wheel drive.

I still have a fantasy of building a destructable rally car which I won't cry about when I smash it into little pieces. I don't think I will ever be able to abandon all attachments to my Forester and just push it to the limit until death.

I see a lot of Corollas at Rim of the World and Laughlin.....

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Personally, i'd rather see an Echo or Scion XA in rally trim, but I think the corolla makes a lot of sense. The engines are rock solid, the suspension/brake setups seem fairly easy to maintain, parts are dirt cheap, etc. etc. I just wonder if the tranny, steering rack, axles, etc. are up to task. Would probably require a lot of armor plating underneath, just for safety's sake.

In the least, it wouldn't eat wheel bearings a la subaru. :roll:

·
Art Director
2001 Forester S Automatic
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
early 90s corolla

the corolla I'm talking about is an older model.

Also, it's for sale !

I won't be buying it, but it is cool to see it in the parking lot.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
It's not the drift-o-matic late 80s model, is it? Those are a blast! Not the best rally cars, but fantastic for AutoX

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
The AE86? I would love to have one as a play car.. =)

blitzoid said:
It's not the drift-o-matic late 80s model, is it? Those are a blast! Not the best rally cars, but fantastic for AutoX

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
Those older ones are RWD, aren't they?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Yes - the older ones are RWD. They also weigh next to nothing, and the 16V four-banger can be tuned for pretty decent power output. (hence the drift-o-matic comment)

Alex @ AZP had one sitting in their lot for a while, he and I cranked it up about 6 months ago (not too long before he sold it) and took it for a spin. The thing was an absolute blast. The seats have inflatable bladders in the bolsters... very trick. I think Recaro (who may very well have been the seat manufacturer) did something similar with the early 90s M3 and Porsche 911 seats. Leapt off the line (once the tires stopped spinning) and the handling was really top notch. Very similar to the early miatas, but quicker.

I think you can find used ones in good shape for under $2k... could be a lot of fun to strip one down, throw in a cage, de-cat the exhaust, and just shred through sets of tires....

Those daydreams are in direct conflict with the whole "apartment in NYC" thing, though. :?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
27 Posts
Yep old Crayola's are lots of fun. Back in my rally days there were a few that were out there running. I haven't seen one for quite a while. From what you describe that cage sounds like it wouldn't pass a tech inspection. If you had to put a new cage in it would cost some large $$$$. So even if that car was free It's really not a deal. Unless it's what you want to do. :)

Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts