Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 has an aftermarket towing package installed on it. I'm probably about to trade up to a '10. Will/can the dealership take my relatively new aftermarket package off my car and install on the new car? I know they can...but will they try to say "no" or charge me more than one of theirs? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
My 04 has an aftermarket towing package installed on it. I'm probably about to trade up to a '10. Will/can the dealership take my relatively new aftermarket package off my car and install on the new car? I know they can...but will they try to say "no" or charge me more than one of theirs? Thoughts?
Actually, they can't. Possibly the hitch on your 04 would fit the next series 06-08, but the 09-10 body is completely different.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm. Even though it is a uhaul after market? Think uhaul has that many hitch choices? If so--I guess I'll just have to let them have it. Any insight on whether this will be a benefit or a liability in the eyes of them taking the trade (meaning willl it add value or take away?)

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
Hmmmm. Even though it is a uhaul after market? Think uhaul has that many hitch choices? If so--I guess I'll just have to let them have it. Any insight on whether this will be a benefit or a liability in the eyes of them taking the trade (meaning willl it add value or take away?)
Your 04 body is completely different back there from an 09-10 body, and your old 04 hitch will not fit the new body.
But you can have U-Haul install a new hitch on an 2010 Forester if you get one. The aftermarket hitches are cheaper than the OEM hitch to buy and install, because they hang below the bumper, whereas the OEM hitch goes inside the bumper.
The hitch on your 04 will not add any value to its trade-in value. In fact, the dealer might argue that a Forester used for towing is worth less.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hitch on your 04 will not add any value to its trade-in value. In fact, the dealer might argue that a Forester used for towing is worth less.

I worried that was the case. I merely used mine for a hitchhauler that only had at most 250 lbs on it a couple of times--although not sure they care.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
... I merely used mine for a hitchhauler that only had at most 250 lbs on it a couple of times--although not sure they care.
The hitch is only rated for 200 lbs. of tongue load, which is up and down. The cargo carried on a hitchhauler wants to twist or revolve around the receiver, which is a much more severe strain on the hitch.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
35 Posts

I worried that was the case. I merely used mine for a hitchhauler that only had at most 250 lbs on it a couple of times--although not sure they care.
If it is worth it to you, you could always remove it to sell. That would at least reduce the cost of a new one.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
My 04 has an aftermarket towing package installed on it. I'm probably about to trade up to a '10. Will/can the dealership take my relatively new aftermarket package off my car and install on the new car? I know they can...

...Even though it is a uhaul after market? Think uhaul has that many hitch choices?
Check the U-Haul hitch selector website. It lists different model numbers for hitches for the '04 and '10 Foresters:

'04: #36311

'10: #24807 or #78182

This post includes some nice pics of what appears to be a #78182 installed on a 2101 Forester.

I believe the U-Haul #78182 is equivalent to a Curt #13147 (2" receiver). Here's a link to product pix.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts