Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not sure where to post this but i need help with a towing question. i just bought a snowmobile and have a trailer. i also bought a subaru trailer hitch off ebay. i know that the towing capacity is 2500 lbs and the trailer probably weighs about 800 my snowmobile weighs about 700 so i think i should be fine. but does anybody have experience with towing? i hate to do it but i have no other way of transporting the thing. i would also like to tow 2 sleds on 1 trailer which is close to that 2500 pounds but what about tounge weight? is this realistic? it seems like it would put quite a strain on my suspension. im not too worried about power cuz im running stage 2 with a few extra mods.

comments? concerns? HELP!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Probally the largest load on my trailer with my hitch (got a few weeks ago) would be 2 fourwheelers (figure 400 per) and a lawnmower (200?) So about 1000 pounds, much under the said max tailer towing weight. If you have an auto Limit = 2000 Manual = 2500 however if you tow over 1000 pounds with an auto I think they recommend a transmistion cooler. The power of the forester is decent, but doesn't quite match up with our jeep cherokee. You should have no problems at all with 700 pounds, just remember to get a trailer wiring harness (unless the subaru one comes with one) I went for a curt, since they are made about 5 miles away from where I live and they are a little beefier than the subaru oem hitch.

G

·
Check your Owner's Manual for provisions on towing, such as tongue weight. Be sure that your receiver hitch is rated for the amount you will tow. I assume that you bought a Class II receiver hitch. Do some well-worded Google searches on the subject, such as: towing with a subaru forester, and tips for towing with a motor vehicle. There's a lot that you need to learn.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
SenorSubie said:
I went for a curt, since they are made about 5 miles away from where I live and they are a little beefier than the subaru oem hitch.
Is that a 1.25" or 2"? Just wondering, because I haven't seen that brand installed on a Subaru.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
MountainBiker said:
SenorSubie said:
I went for a curt, since they are made about 5 miles away from where I live and they are a little beefier than the subaru oem hitch.
Is that a 1.25" or 2"? Just wondering, because I haven't seen that brand installed on a Subaru.
Bet its a 2" receiver based on that weight data on the Curt hitch picture. Those numbers on that hitch are outta-site in comparison to the factory manual though, which is 1000lbs maximum total for trailer without brakes, and 2500lbs maximum for trailers w/brakes. Its easy to understand the need for the trailer brakes considering the weight push on such a light car under heavy or emergency braking. I think the max tongue weight for class 1 is 150lbs? I could be wrong on that note, but its pretty minimal.

Btw- There have been numerous articles and posts written over the years regarding the affects of towing with gas turbo engine vehicles. The thought was to avoid it as much as possible, as it tends to keep a load on the engine and turbo is spooling and under boost more often creating high operating temps EGT's etc...as a result.

Personally I think very light towing of maybe two dirtbikes, a waverunner, snowmachine, or possibly a 4-wheeler or lawnmower would be the max I would go. Guess it really depends on the size and weight of the trailer though, as some are very lightweight and others pretty massively built and heavy even without a payload.

Honestly I can't imagine towing my 2400lb Coleman pop-up with trailer brakes with my Forester even though the manual says it can do it. We had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it struggled at times in comparison with our current Toyota Sequoia which is a heavy brute and tows weight well.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
MountainBiker said:
SenorSubie said:

Curt's Idea of "bolt on" required at least 2 more cuts to properly fit the hitch. I love the hitch so far, besides for the fact that that its not an uberly clean look, but when your not on the ground taking a picture of it, most of the hitch is hidden.

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
towing

i am driving an 04 xt stage 2. i have a small light uncovered trailer, basically 2 peices of plywood on a frame with an axle. i hope to tow 2 snowmobiles with it. i bought a used OEM hitch. i would rather not use the forester to tow but i refuse to sell it for another vehicle and cant afford a 2nd.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Btw.. if your used hitch doesn't come with a wiring harness, look it up on the web, because installing a subaru/aftermarket wiring harness is uberly simple. They have a 6 pin connector already in the area of the sparetire tucked up underneath some trim. Just buy the harness, plug it in, and run the output cable through the gromut and your set.

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
harness

thanks! i bought one on ebay for an outback 1996 - 2000 assuming it was the same and it was. got it for $5 plus shipping brand new!

anyone know if i can tow 2 snowmobiles and a light trailer with the 1.25 OEM hitch???

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
All the previous mentioned tips are good general info. One specific that may help you decide is the following rule of thumb for trailer design.

Tongue weight should approximate 10% of Total weight.

If you're going to put 2000 pounds on a 500 pound trailer, your tongue weight (if not a home made trailer) should be around 250 pounds. Part of the manufacturer's trailer hauling recommendations involve power/braking issues, and part suspension/tire/wheel/frame strength issues.
Common sense should tell you that as your trailer GVW (gross vehicle weight) approaches your driving vehicles weight, you'll understand what "tail wagging the dog" refers to.
-Quick

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
If your planning on hauling a trailer (hefty) alot, and don't feel like blinding all the other drivers, SubaXtreme makes stifer rear springs for foresters.. just an idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tow a 2000 lbs pop up camper with electric brakes with my XT, it has plenty of power but tends to ride a little low in the back and the short wheelbase and soft springs makes for a pretty bouncy ride. I would not tow it very far, but it works in a pinch. Also, a little utility trailer tows great and makes your little car pretty useful for hauling junk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.