Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen them all over the STi and stuff and i was wondering if an off the shelf kit on ebay will for for an 04 FXT?
any help would be great

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
This is the type of tow hook you should be looking at.

Dead Link removed, the original SubaXtreme has closed down.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,501 Posts
There are already hooks in the front. And for that price thou might just as well get a Trailer hitch for the rear.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I don't understand the whole ricer tow hook thing. Do you plan on crashing? I see them on beater Hondas all the time. It goes with the offset license plate and the rattle can black hood.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand the whole ricer tow hook thing. Do you plan on crashing? I see them on beater Hondas all the time. It goes with the offset license plate and the rattle can black hood.

Thanks for the input. I plan on towing

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Thanks for the input. I plan on towing
How do you plan and what are you planning to tow with hooks like the ones you posted? The hooks that you have posted are meant to help in pulling you out when you get stuck, and even then I would not want to put any side load from pulling on an angle, they'd most likely bend or snap. They might provide better access to "tow" points on really lowered vehicles. But in all the years of this forum I have not seen them on any of the lowered Foresters here.
Better to use the hooks provided in the front and since you will have to add a trailer hitch for 'towing' that will become your rear pull point.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Yeah, what he said. They are not for towing, they are for broken/wrecked race car extrication. Or, on a Honda, they are usually bling.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Better to use the hooks provided in the front and since you will have to add a trailer hitch for 'towing' that will become your rear pull point.
The provided hooks on the front are only supposed to be for tying the vehicle down on a flat bed truck instead of towing.

You start being snatched out of a bog with the standard ones and somebody is going to be wearing it - generally it is the other car/driver or an onlooker standing too close to the action.

Same thing goes for the rear tow bar, if you use the tow ball for attaching the snatch strap etc then somebody/something will end up wearing the tow ball when it snaps off.

Tow balls are strictly for towing.

Tragic end to football break

DANIELLE McKAY

October 04, 2009 07:06pm

TRAGEDY has again rocked the town of Smithton after a local footballer was killed in a freak accident yesterday.

Josh Stein, 18, suffered a fatal head injury while four-wheel driving with Irishtown Football Club mates on an end-of-season trip.

Tragedy struck about 3am when a team member's 4WD got bogged on Sandy Cape Rd, south of Temma on the state's remote West Coast.

Tasmania Police Sergeant Leanne Walters said several men assembled a towing system in a bid to free the vehicle.

However, the tow ball and snatch strap came loose.

The tow ball catapulted, smashing through the back window of the vehicle where Mr Stein was sitting, striking a fatal blow to his head.

Witnesses described the incident as "particularly horrific". It is not known if alcohol was involved.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
^^ The provided front tow hook works fine if you need someone to give you a pull out of something (granted someone is in the Foz giving it gas at the same time)......but the front one will bend if sideways stress is put on it. I've used it many times to pull out lightly-stranded vehicles that just need a slight nudge. I would NOT use it to pull dead weight/non-powered vehicle.

The rear tow point is much beefier, and can handle a bit more. I've also used it to pull stranded vehicles and a few cars that were dead weight, it did just fine, but I would not use it for anything more than just a quick pull here and there. A tow hitch would be the best thing to use if you're planning on constantly getting stuck or constantly helping stranded cars. But if you are going to TOW something, then you need a proper tow hitch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My fault guys i meant what subyroo said i will be towing it on a flat bed and i thought if i bout some from Ebay they would give a little more tie down support then the Uhaul triler will offer.
And BTW i have seen some CLEAN STIs that would work majority of us over in 1/4 or track....havnt seen to many of those hondas now since i think of it i have NEVER seen a HONDA with one in Tucson area.....

The provided hooks on the front are only supposed to be for tying the vehicle down on a flat bed truck instead of towing.

You start being snatched out of a bog with the standard ones and somebody is going to be wearing it - generally it is the other car/driver or an onlooker standing too close to the action.

Same thing goes for the rear tow bar, if you use the tow ball for attaching the snatch strap etc then somebody/something will end up wearing the tow ball when it snaps off.

Tow balls are strictly for towing.
^^ The provided front tow hook works fine if you need someone to give you a pull out of something (granted someone is in the Foz giving it gas at the same time)......but the front one will bend if sideways stress is put on it. I've used it many times to pull out lightly-stranded vehicles that just need a slight nudge. I would NOT use it to pull dead weight/non-powered vehicle.

The rear tow point is much beefier, and can handle a bit more. I've also used it to pull stranded vehicles and a few cars that were dead weight, it did just fine, but I would not use it for anything more than just a quick pull here and there. A tow hitch would be the best thing to use if you're planning on constantly getting stuck or constantly helping stranded cars. But if you are going to TOW something, then you need a proper tow hitch.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I have to add that earlier today, I got myself into a little "Austin Powers" problem in an arryo that was washed out, and had to be pulled from the rear hook from the side. (so, essentially, I was pulled sideways so the back end would not come around. Worked perfect, and it never budged/bent. So the rear hook is pretty damn strong. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
My fault guys i meant what subyroo said i will be towing it on a flat bed and i thought if i bout some from Ebay they would give a little more tie down support then the Uhaul triler will offer.
And BTW i have seen some CLEAN STIs that would work majority of us over in 1/4 or track....havnt seen to many of those hondas now since i think of it i have NEVER seen a HONDA with one in Tucson area.....
^^Good to know this. This might be of some consideration Wheel Nets & Car Tie Downs : Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Moving Blankets & Pads, Cargo Straps, U.S. Cargo Control

1 - 19 of 19 Posts