Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to not only here but to being a Subaru owner as well. I purchased a 98 Subaru Forester S about a month ago. I was really getting to love the little thing till a couple days ago.....and POW!!!! head gasket failure. Bought the car "As Is" so can't go back on the guy I bought it from, but the good news is I got it at a low enough price that I can put some money into it and still be comfortable with what I've got. All in all, I think it's worth fixing..once she's fixed, I'll drive her till she can't go anymore!! For now though I've gotta do a little research on proper head bolt tightening sequence, and proper amount of torque for the head bolts. Well, I guess I'll shut up for now and get to researching. Thanks to all of you for providing a place where people like me can get great and amazing info!!

Lacey

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,756 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Sorry to hear of the problems with your new Forester. Here's hoping you get it all sorted out so you can enjoy your new ride. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Sorry to hear of the problems with your new Forester. Here's hoping you get it all sorted out so you can enjoy your new ride. :wink:

Bobby...

Thanks for the welcome. I am in the process of ordering parts and a repair manual this weekend. Have a local buddy who machines heads, so that's good. He's done work for me before on my 225 Slant Six (out of a '66 Plymouth Valiant) so I know he's totally capable! Other than that we're gonna get her to the garage and put her back together. If the HG blows again, then I'll either fix it again, or find another motor. I love the car. It drives like a dream. Other than spending money I had set aside to restore my other car to fix this one I have absolutely no beef with it.

Lacey

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,088 Posts
... I've gotta do a little research on proper head bolt tightening sequence, and proper amount of torque for the head bolts...
This was posted here by flstffxe:
Use a tightening method referred to as angle torqueing. In torqueing the head bolts, they don't just get loosened up 360 degrees and then get tightened 180.

Head bolt sequence
<--front (drivers side)
3-1-6
5-2-4

Head bolt spec and procedure
Step 1: 22 ft/lb.
Step 2: 51 ft/lb.
Step 3: Loosen all bolts 180 degrees (when loosening bolts do it in the reverse order).
Step 4: Loosen all bolts and additional 180 degrees (when loosening bolts do it in the reverse order).
Step 5: (bolts 1 and 2 ONLY): 25 ft/lb.
Step 6: (bolts 3, 4, 5, and 6 ONLY): 132 in-lbs (11 ft/lb).
Step 7: Tighten all bolts an additional 90 degrees.
Step 8: Tighten all bolts an additional 90 degrees.

When doing step #6 use the appropriate torque wrench: one that has a range of 25-150 in-lbs. The accuracy of a torque wrench suffers at the lower end of its scale due to internal friction (click type). Simply using a 10-150 ft/lbs wrench and setting it at 11 doesn't cut it. Step 6 is where the final torque value is really set, as you are angle torquing the rest of the way (you have the most influence at step #6).

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...ad-gasket-thread-65495/index3.html#post739093

1 - 8 of 8 Posts