Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04XT is has STI intercooler, STI up-pipe, 3"inch turboback, Sti hood scoop, blah, blah, blah... basic stage 2 setup. It's also an automatic.
I'm torn between upgrading the TD04 with the 19T compressor wheel and rebuild from Blouch, going with the TD05-16G from Blouch, or getting a used VF series turbo. I have reservations about putting in a used turbo. I want to hear from people with similar setups. I really want the 16G but is it worth the extra cash? The TD04 with the 19T compressor wheel sounds good too but would I being throwing money away because I would want more performance later?

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I would personally go with a vf39/43 (skip the vf48 people sell them like they are made of pure platinum) that has as little mileage as possible. You have to look at IHI turbos like buying used tires, they aren't rebuildable so they are basically wear items. The cost difference between a cheap vf39/43 and an great one is about $50-75. If you don't want to buy used then this dicussion is useless and go with the 16g (skip the big 16g it's old tech)

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Biggest question in my opinion, how do you plan to tune it?

For me, the initial jump into a VF39/43 was a lot easier to swallow w/ an AP if you already have one. I know everyone cries that base maps are not perfect, but it gets you there and w/ 75% of the fun.

If you're planing to tune yourself, or plan a protune, then I see no reason to not go to a new blouch 16g or larger. I know the 16g's aren't ideal either, but it's still better than a VF39/43 and the cost new is pretty darn hard to beat.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
You have to look at IHI turbos like buying used tires, they aren't rebuildable so they are basically wear items.
Just as rebuildable as any other actually, the fact less actualy offer the service doesn't mean they can't be!

I wouldn't go TD05 on an auto....too big and laggy off the line, you'll hate that at the lights!

Hybrid TD04 is a good option, either with just a compressor swap or a machined turbine housing for a slightly larger turbine wheel.

Simon

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
My 04XT is has STI intercooler, STI up-pipe, 3"inch turboback, Sti hood scoop, blah, blah, blah... basic stage 2 setup. It's also an automatic.
I'm torn between upgrading the TD04 with the 19T compressor wheel and rebuild from Blouch, going with the TD05-16G from Blouch, or getting a used VF series turbo. I have reservations about putting in a used turbo. I want to hear from people with similar setups. I really want the 16G but is it worth the extra cash? The TD04 with the 19T compressor wheel sounds good too but would I being throwing money away because I would want more performance later?
If you are interested in the 19T, I'm going to steer you toward these guys...

Performance Techniques - Turbo, Turbos, and Turbochargers - For all your turbo needs!

Main reason being that I don't like the 19T with the stock turbine (which is what you get with Blouch). If you are going to put the biggest TD04 compressor wheel in, you might as well match it with the biggest turbine as well.

A 19T/TDo4H combo will give a VF a serious run for its money...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys.
I will call performance technique today. I will go with upgraded TD04. I haven't had too much luck finding a VF series in good shape and when I do they are a little pricey for a used turbo and I was also concerned about turbo lag with the 16G. Right now my car is pretty quick off the line but it tapers off pretty fast. I plan on taking the turbo out this weekend and either send it to blouch, performance techniques, or a local turbo shop.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Go for the gold, Dom 4.0XT-R !!!

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Sounds like you're set on the decision, but realize a 16g has same or maybe less lag than a VF series turbo but better pull up top. Tuned one of each in the past 2 weeks on 2.0L cars w/ similar supporting mods.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
A 16g is a better turbo than the VF series, there really isn't any lag, and it pulls HARD, but liek the VF turbos it dies off quickly. It is a great match for a 2.0L, but I'd go bigger with the 2.5L. HTA68 or an 18G would be the route I'd go if I was in your shoes.That's if your budget allows it. If not, be patient and find a VFxx turbo. Spring time is when people start messing with their cars again and there should be quite a few VFxx turbos around at good prices.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
as others have stated there are so many factors to consider and I think the main one is budget. If you are scared of used turbos then you can't beat the price of a new 16g for 650 and an open source tune and you are good to go. If you don't mind used turbos then you stick with a vf39/43 and you can plug and play at stage 3 on an accessport or for the ultimate in thrifty set ups vfxx+opensource and you can probably be quicker than a lot of cars on the roads for 500-700 depending on how patient and diligently you search nasioc and iwsti

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
In August 2009 I picked up a new-in-box VF48 from importimageracing.com for $718. For the price I couldn't pass it up! They're now selling them for over $1,000 so if I was to do it today it would be a HTA68, but bigger injectors are really needed.

I agree on buying used - IMO, I would rather spend for new and know what I've got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts