Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent a merry hour topping up the ATF on my XT.

What were Subaru's engineers thinking of when they made that dipstick/filler tube so inaccessible?

I ended up using a length of plastic pipe and a funnel. The pipe had to be narrow enough to get into the tube, which meant searching for a small enough funnel to stick into the tube and finally deciding to sacrifice the one I use for filling my hip flask :-( I guess Lagavulin with a hint of Dexron could be a whole new flavour experience.

Anyway I got the fluid in but it took ages to dribble through that narrow tube. Did I miss a better way of doing it? (How hard is it to remove the intercooler for better access?)

Also does anyone know how much fluid it should take to move the level from "HOT L" to "HOT H"? Manual only shows the total capacity. I only needed to put in about 250ml which didn't seem like much.

-- Steve

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local stores didn't seem to have one made for the job. Serves me right for trying to do it on a Sunday evening when they were about to close I suppose.

-- Steve

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I found mine at Walmarts for 2.98. A standard everywhere for filling ATs and other stuff.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Filler and tube combo from Wallymart!

This type is also excellent for filling up the front differential on Auto tranny Foresters!!

Just did mine and it was a breeze....

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
Info on the subject

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts