Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I hit the top part of my steering wheel and it is definitely bent forward. Is the steering wheel something easy to replace? I saw on subaruonlinepart that the WRX replacement wheel for my Forester 16XT is around 350. I'd like to try to do this myself since I imagine the dealer would kill me price wise.

·
Administrator
15,128 Posts
Here's the instructions for my MY'03 which may help:

B: CAUTION
• When servicing a vehicle, be sure to turn the ignition switch to OFF, disconnect the ground cable from battery, and wait for more than 20 seconds
before starting work.
• The airbag system is fitted with a backup power source. If the airbag system is serviced within 20 seconds after the ground cable is disconnected, it may inflate.

REMOVAL Steering Wheel
1) Disconnect the ground cable from battery.
2) Set the tires to straight-ahead position.
3) Remove the airbag module.<Ref. to AB-15, REMOVAL, Driver's Airbag Module.>
WARNING:
Always refer to “AirBag System” before performing
airbag module service. <Ref. to AB-3,
CAUTION, General Description.>
4) Make matching marks on the steering wheel and steering shaft.
5) Remove the steering wheel nut, and then draw out the steering wheel from shaft using steering puller.
B: INSTALLATION
WARNING:
Always refer to “AirBag System” before performing airbag module service. <Ref. to AB-3,
CAUTION, General Description.>
1) Align the center of roll connector. <Ref. to AB-20, ADJUSTMENT, Roll Connector.>
2) Install in the reverse order of removal.
NOTE:
Align matching marks on the steering wheel and steering shaft.
Tightening torque: 45 N·m (4.6 kgf-m, 33.2 ft-lb)
Column cover-to-steering wheel clearance: 2 — 4 mm (0.08 — 0.16 in)
CAUTION:
Insert the roll connector guide pin into guide hole on lower end of surface of steering wheel to prevent damage.

Driver's Airbag Module
A: REMOVAL
CAUTION:
Refer to “CAUTION” in General Description before handing the airbag module. <Ref. to AB-3, CAUTION, General Description.>
1) Position the front wheels straight ahead. (After moving the vehicle more than 5 m (16 ft) with front wheels positioned straight ahead, make sure that
the vehicle moves straight ahead).
2) Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
3) Disconnect the ground cable from battery, and wait for at least 20 seconds before starting work.
4) Using the TORX® BIT T30, remove the two TORX® bolts on side of steering wheel.
5) Disconnect the airbag connector on the back of airbag module, and then remove the airbag module.
6) Refer to “CAUTION” for handling of a removed airbag module. <Ref. to AB-3, CAUTION, General Description.>
B: INSTALLATION
1) Install in the reverse order of removal.
CAUTION:
Do not allow harness and connectors to interfere or get tangled up with other parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts