Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1994 MY04 XT Luxury
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on Top Gear, Clarkson reviewed the WRX STI and Mitsubishi EVO 10. This is probably old news as it’s probably already been screened all round the world.

Clarkson was less than polite about the array of complex optimising settings and adjustments both cars featured, commenting that the STI could only be programmed by a 14 year old, and poked fun at Subaru saying they should provide a Playstation controller. He went on to say the STI was as ugly as an old war wound, whilst the EVO was sexy.

He ran some silly high speed hard cornering test on both vehicles and concluded that overall the EVO outperformed the STI. He did say that on one corner which supercars take at 60mph, the AWD (which he called 4WD) enabled the corner to be taken at 100mph.

His big complaint about the EVO 10 was its fuel economy stating that less than 50 miles could be got from a full tank when driven hard.

He visually demonstrated his perception that the EVO was superior to the STI by driving the EVO round the STI (motoring metaphor of driving rings round the competition).

The STIG drove the STI and an EVO 9 (not sure why not the 10) and the STI was faster.

While he was critical of some of the presented complexities of both cars, and commented that they were marketed at an age bracket that is not old enough to drive, he failed to encapsulate that you get a hell of a lot of car for a fraction of what other makers would charge for a comparable offer. I must say, he looked like he was having a ton of fun where as too often lately it look like he is about to doze off.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
252 Posts
Do you mean this one...

Fairly sure the Stig is driving the 10 later on in the show (which isn't shown)

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
204 Posts
Well

Not to resurrect an old thread, but, there was an episode where Hammond drives an 04 XT on both on and off road tests, and actually praised the car for "making a fun crossover"...I couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
00 I've had allsorts both
1,376 Posts
Great show and one of the top 'watched' programmes in the UK !

3 guys just arsing around !

Anybody who takes it seriously/literally has missed the whole ethos of the show!

A proper petrolheads mix of burning rubber and farce :crazy:

..As for the comparison between the two Hot cars, who cares? they dont! But they are both brilliant :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
204 Posts
I remember

Watching my first episode of Top Gear UK a few years ago- the episode featured remote controlled cars....absolutely CLASSIC!! I was HOOKED from there on!!

What was disappointing when it first came out was the US version of the show- the first couple of shows were HORRIBLE!! But, after the last few episodes, I think they've hit their stride- they are focusing on cars/trucks that are very much US "staples". Having the US Stig racing a 600hp Raptor around their track being an example of how the US show has taken the original Top Gear ideas and running with it. I even thought the presenters on the US show were ridiculous, but, they have seemed to hit their stride as well, with each falling into their own niche': Foust is a pedantic, egotistical dude who thinks he is THE driver in every challenge, Wood is a fairly realistic dude who seems to think he speaks for all southerners (even though he has zero southern accent) and Ferrara speaks for the guys who THINK they know cars, but really dont- he's also rather adept at destroying whatever car he buys and always buys something "old school".

All in all, its NOT the same (nor will it ever be) as the Top Gear UK, but, it does a pretty decent job of enetertaining viewers in its own way. I havent watched the German or Australian shows, but, based on their cameos on the UK show over the years, they seem to be as entertaining as the UK show.:Banane08:

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
Didn't know about this episode. It's funny, the last time they reviewed the STi and EVO (02) they all liked the looks of the STi more.

·
Registered
03 XS 5MT
1,566 Posts
That body style of the WRX and STi is my least favorite. I only like the older evos, but would still pick an 02-07 WRX or STi any day. Top Gear is a hit or miss for me, the CTS-V Wagon beating the Ferrari blew my mind.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
204 Posts
Gotta love Clarkson....

In this episode, where he tests a Cosworth prepped WRX....I cant seem to locate the part of the vid where he basically starts chuckling and saying taht basically Cosworth ripped just about everything out of the engine compartment and rebuilt the drivetrain with their parts....

Just watched the new episodes of both the US and UK Top Gears and just chuckle at the fact that they keep finding ways of pushing the limits...in fact, I'm surprised UK's Health and Safety didnt shutter up the show when Hamster wiped out in that rocket car some years ago...

·
Registered
0000 00000 0000000
118 Posts
nothing said on top gear should be taken seriously.

but they have said more than a few times that subarus are bulletproof.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5XS 4EAT
79 Posts
Subarus in general are much more of a Hammond car than anything Clarkson or May would pick out. The others too white collar to appreciate it. I do love the show and record every episode. I just know that while one presenter might hate a car another might love it.

·
Registered
2003 XT Manual
825 Posts
I remember James May driving a diesel Legacy some time ago and actually liked it.
The challenge was to get from..... ummm... somewhere in Europe to Blackpool UK on one tank. Clarkson was in a Jag (obviously), Hammond in something I don't remember. Eventually all 3 of them made it
And I do remember Clarkson was making fun of Subaru's diesel engine

1 - 20 of 24 Posts