Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a tall guy with two younger kids. We love our 14 FXT but obviously need something larger that can still handle stupid winters. Is there anything as fun to drive as a turbo FXT that can fit our growing fam and have enough headroom for a tall driver?

Right now - my one son who sits behind me in a car seat - I always worry that my seat is too far back for the guy - so I'm never comfy when we're all in the car.

What's ur top 3? I'm assuming the Ascent would be in the mix?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,453 Posts
Bang for your buck...take a look at the telluride.

I like the ascent, but the interior in the top trim is horrific imo.

As for the telluride, it doesn’t have paddles, which is a turn off for me. Nice car ride though and you can make them look amazing

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,218 Posts
I don't see why you "need" something bigger than the Forester. Reall y a "Want" You will have to go Luxury class like the BMW X5. To get what you "Need" and the Performance that you need/want. You missed the boat getting the '18 ('16, 17, 18 were significantly bigger than '14) Forester bc it would have given you your "needs" and wants..unless you are 7' tall and your kids each weigh 250 pounds.

Via how things bave changed. I had a '69 Camaro that hauled two younger kids around. No complaints. And if they "complain".....to bad.

Have you actually sat in a '19 forester? Did you know that the seat can be lowered/raised? I have the crosstrek and have the seat all the way up and have 3.5" of headroom. Which means with the seat all the way down I have 6+ inches and I am 5'9 . If you are 6' 6" (assuming half the height difference is above your hips you would have 2" to spare in my XV. The forester is 9" taller than the XV with the same ground clearance....do the math. Or better sit in one.

I think you really need a luxury bimbo box (van)

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see why you "need" something bigger than the Forester. Reall y a "Want" You will have to go Luxury class like the BMW X5. To get what you "Need" and the Performance that you need/want. You missed the boat getting the '18 ('16, 17, 18 were significantly bigger than '14) Forester bc it would have given you your "needs" and wants..unless you are 7' tall and your kids each weigh 250 pounds.

I think you really need a luxury bimbo box (van)
wait what? the 18 is really bigger than the 14?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
767 Posts
2014 and 2018 are the same vehicles in inside dimensions...
This is really individual but I personally fit 3 tall boys (8,4 and 1) in the back of 2015 XT and I am 6’3” 190lb. As they get older, it is actually gets easier to fit them. Rear facing car seats are actually taking the most space (especially in length) and kids should stay I them as long as they can. For me, rear facing Recaro seats would fit but if I was just a little taller it would be uncomfortable. With forward facing it gets easier and eventually booster seats make no difference vs regular seating. I think that way too many people in US buy vehicles that are way to big for their needs but it is great to have options...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts