Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been itching to really see what this thing can do, so I went off road today with a buddy.

The first place we went (pictured) was fun. Not near as sticky as the second place (no pics). Wanted some pics of the second place, but there was no way to stop and take pics.

My bottom line impression of Foresters Off-Road: Fantastic for terrain where all four tires touch the ground. Sand, mud, etc... The biggest weakness here is by far ground clearance. This is an issue I will address by having a beater truck later. hehe

Here's the pics since I know that's all anyone (myself included) cares about. :biggrin:

Went through pretty slow so as not to flood the intake. Still got pretty deep but no problems what-so-ever.

This place was more water on soft dirt. The second place we went had some thick mud. Forester still plowed through with minimal effort. I love this damn car.

And my buddies truck. For eye candy. I am no fan of Toyotas but his truck is still pretty...

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Fun! I would highly recommend changing your dif fluids though. Easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HA! Diff fluids and tranny fluid (just cause) were changed the next day.

Just in case anyone needs to know how to do it, check out my owner's journal as I made a photo tutorial for it...

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
836 Posts
nice thats about as deep as you can go, and your buddies taco is pretty sweet

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice thats about as deep as you can go, and your buddies taco is pretty sweet
Thanks. Although he has since sold it. I had a bad Tacoma experience with a 2006 and he had the same stuff happen with this 2007. He now drives a lifted Z71.

·
Registered
MY 02 WRX 08 SpecB
47 Posts
So do you guys change your diff fluids every time you go off roading? Can I ask why?

<-Is new to off roading. ;)

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So do you guys change your diff fluids every time you go off roading? Can I ask why?

<-Is new to off roading. ;)
I only change my diff fluid after off roading if I have gone through deep water (i.e. deeper than my differential breather). The reason is that when the differential hits the water it goes through "supercooling", which can let water in through the seals or the breather tube.

Just a precaution, but $10-15 in fluid after I go through the deep stuff is way cheaper than a differential. ;)

Actually haven't taken it wheeling much. I took it on this and a few others right after I bought her just so I knew exactly what she could and couldn't handle. No I have it out of my system and keep it to really light wheeling.

·
Registered
MY 02 WRX 08 SpecB
47 Posts
I only change my diff fluid after off roading if I have gone through deep water (i.e. deeper than my differential breather). The reason is that when the differential hits the water it goes through "supercooling", which can let water in through the seals or the breather tube.

Just a precaution, but $10-15 in fluid after I go through the deep stuff is way cheaper than a differential. ;)

Actually haven't taken it wheeling much. I took it on this and a few others right after I bought her just so I knew exactly what she could and couldn't handle. No I have it out of my system and keep it to really light wheeling.
I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
$5 breather extensions > $15 worth of fluids. The more prep you do, the less maintenance offroading will cause.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza
7 Posts
You got thing pretty deep in the water, I'd be scared to lock the motor up. I've hydro locked motors before in a lot less water. Of course that was on a lowered vw lol.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Meh- never gave me any trouble... was more worried about the diff breathers than anything...

New Fozzy is more well cared for than this one was though...

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Front I would run it up higher in the engine bay (maybe to the top of the strut tower).

Rear, I would run it up into the gas door area probably...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts