Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Forester. When we are driving on the Interstate, we have to really crank up the volume of the radio/CD player. Are Forester just constructed to be this noisy? Is there anything I can do to lessen the noise level in the car? Would changing the tires from the original Geolanders make a difference? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
First thing i'd check is your tyre pressure, putting a bit more pressure in made mine quieter, not to mention better mpg!

mike

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Increased tire-pressure will probally create some funky wear on your tires..

Just keep the pressure to something reasonable

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Sorry thats what I meant. Make sure there at the RIGHT pressure!

I didnt mean like 40psi :D

mike

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
The Forester doesn't have much in terms of noise insulation, and from experience I can say they will only get worse with age/mileage. Some dynamat in strategic places would help, I guess.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I just bought an 06. The dealer had 41psi in the tires. I put 33 front and 32 rear and it was much quieter. I was ready to dump the geolanders but now there are fine. I do hear a squeal on the crosswalk stripes now that I lowered the pressure but the noise and ride are much better. I say try air pressure first.

I drive 70 miles daily on the interstate and this helped me.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Dynamat type products help a bit but are really better for resonance related sounds. A good way to reduce road noise is to use a close celled foam like ensolite and apply it in the door panels. I use this over my Raammat and the car is much quieter. Raam over at Nasioc sells it. It's pretty cheap and is applied using adhesive spray.

Suby sound deadening in general leaves me yearning for the days of driving my Audi A4 which was nice an quiet.

Frank

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
If you haven't had your tires rotated and balanced in a while that might be good to do. Another suggestion, if you don't have the underseat subwoofer, get one and turn the gain up on it, turn the bass down on your head unit and then just crank it till you can't hear any road noise :D

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
^^ Haha, I like that idea. My forester makes alot of noise as well and as other people have stated it seems to mostly come from the areas around where the windows meet the rubber around the doors.

·
Administrator
29,459 Posts
At 58k I've got a cacophony of noises, including everything from buzzy rattles, creaks and clunks, to loud pops. They emanate from all sorts of places - most notably the rear suspension, but also the dash, pillars, moonroof, and glovebox area. I've learned to either tune up the music or tune it out. It also helps to have an extra loud intake and exhaust setup... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Before installing custom mated Magnaflow :D , mine was very quiet with the stock exhaust. Of course a wagon will have a higher level of noise due to not having a shelf like a sedan would.

Now i have pink fiberglass insulation stuffed into a huge garbage bag tucked under the spare tire. Even that's not enough. On long hauls it gets very annoying.

Sometimes as mentioned in prior posts, using dynamat can help, but sheesh is that stuff expensive. I'm sure there is a better alternative.

What car did you have before? If you had an Infiniti or a Lexus......I could understand about the in-cabin noise levels.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
pleiad7 said:
At 58k I've got a cacophony of noises, including everything from buzzy rattles, creaks and clunks, to loud pops. They emanate from all sorts of places - most notably the rear suspension, but also the dash, pillars, moonroof, and glovebox area. I've learned to either tune up the music or tune it out. It also helps to have an extra loud intake and exhaust setup... :rolleyes:

Silke - is this what I can expect from my MY06 in a few years !!!! I was under the impression (apparently mistakenly) that Forries were well built.

Most reports say the MY06 is one of the quietest Forries yet. Is this a furphy ?

Sounds more like a bucket of bolts flying in close formation !!!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
Candy said:
Silke - is this what I can expect from my MY06 in a few years !!!! I was under the impression (apparently mistakenly) that Forries were well built.

Most reports say the MY06 is one of the quietest Forries yet. Is this a furphy ?

Have you seen pics and heard the stories of some of her "road racing" events? That may explain a few of the rattles and clunks. :p ;)

·
Administrator
29,459 Posts
Candy said:

I think the 06 models are probably built a little more solid. Also keep in mind that I regularly drive on bumpy roads (in fact, the road I live on has got to be one of the worst maintained stretches of pavement in the county) and generally have little mercy on my suspension. Subed has also been exposed to some extreme conditions such as rally stages, hundreds of miles of desert washboard (my struts squeaked for a week afterwards due to the dust), and 4WD trails across mountain ranges where you'd think a lowered Forester has no business going. Some of the noises can also be attributed to the mods that have been done, especially the rear suspension and dashboard noises.

What's a furphy? :confused:

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
My old FXT didn't get any louder over the course of the 70k I owned it (other than for a while as the rear diff went out at 30k, replacing it took care of that!), no new squeaks or rattles either - YMMV, mine was bone-stock other than tires :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts