Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
111 Posts
Though it's obviously overfilled, I don't think it's enough to hurt anything. Btw, I checked the oil level in my '18 NA right after I bought it, and it was right at the full mark.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks again that was reassuring. Probably move my first oil change up a bit even though I only have very little miles on the meter.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
718 Posts
You can see that the level is well above the high indicator.
My 1st generation '99 has always read high on the dipstick, whether I've changed it myself (know how much oil was really put in) or at a shop. I figure it is some funny characteristic of how the dip stick tube was designed. I'm at 225,000 miles and the high oil reading hasn't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
798 Posts
Mine was like then I took delivery. The dealers also overfill a little at each service probably adding to the nearest litre/quart. On Subarus the dipstick goes in at an acute angle instead of the more usual vertical so the level in the pan isn't really that much higher.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Tourin CVT
236 Posts
Just drive it, but keep checking all fluid levels which many dont but then whine because something happened due to low levels

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
36 Posts
My 2015 has always read about that high when putting in the manufacture specified amount of oil, and will give low oil warning if you put in enough to make the dipstick read "right"

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Tourin CVT
236 Posts
My 2015 has always read about that high when putting in the manufacture specified amount of oil, and will give low oil warning if you put in enough to make the dipstick read "right"
You bring up a good point. People should know if they have the correct amount first. Best way is to make sure you drain it properly, then put in the proper amount of oil at OC time. The mark your dipstick accordingly.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
Mine was like then I took delivery. The dealers also overfill a little at each service probably adding to the nearest litre/quart. On Subarus the dipstick goes in at an acute angle instead of the more usual vertical so the level in the pan isn't really that much higher.
Agreed, mine too. Run car to operating temperature, shut off, wait couple seconds, pull dipstick, wipe, reinsert and check again. This is how the manual says to check the oil on my 2015, due to the acute angle that the dipstick reaches the oil pan at, I look at both sides of stick, high and low points and split the difference, this is the true oil level. Easy to check.

Dealer frequently overfills mine by about one quart and I've had several discussions with them about it, wth!?!?!? I remind them every oil change, they should know better and over filling can mask oil consumption issues, plus it's not good for the engine and can increase consumption due to blow by and foaming.

Edit: 1/4 - 1/2 quart over full is not desirable, but should be ok.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
...I look at both sides of stick, high and low points and split the difference, this is the true oil level...
This is incorrect. The top of the dipstick as it angles into the oil pool is the only correct level. This corresponds with the lower of the readings on both sides of the dipstick.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
1 Posts
Recently I purchased a 2014 Forester with 67K miles. This a Certified Subaru that was maintained religiously by the Subaru dealership I bought it from. When I got it home I noticed the oil filters reservoir had oil in it. I checked the oil and discovered it was about one quart high on the dip stick. I also heard a whining sound when I drove on the car on the highway. In addition I heard wind noises when on the highway which was annoying.

Since the car was a Certified Subaru Vehicle it included the 152 point program check list that was filled out.
I was amazed to discover NOWHERE on the checklist form there was a box that checked the oil. All the other boxes indicated showed fluids were checked. The form also showed it was inspected for "Wind Noise", and was told this is normal, I DON"T THINK SO.

I brought the car back to the dealer and asked the service advisor why there was no mention of oil being checked on the checklist form.
He had no answer for that and was surprised as I was. They then drained the oil and put in a new filter and filled to the proper level.
Then they checked the whining sound and was told the drivers side rear wheel bearing needed to be replaced thus causing the sound.
The sound improved but was still noticeable. I never owned a AWD before so I still don't know if this is normal for a vehicle with a CVT 2.5L engine.

I am very disappointed with the dealerships lack of checking out the car, it seems like the was not checked out properly before it was sold as a Certified Subaru Vehicle. I am really sorry I bought this car based on Subaru's reputation for building quality products.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,215 Posts
I am very disappointed with the dealerships lack of checking out the car, it seems like the was not checked out properly before it was sold as a Certified Subaru Vehicle. I am really sorry I bought this car based on Subaru's reputation for building quality products.
You bought a 5 year old car with 67K miles on it, and admitted the dealership was not good and have no idea how the first owner drove it...and you are disappointed with subaru quality...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts