Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XT Manual
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what i'm going to do. Whether its buying a small trailer or using my moto-tote, this hold one dirtbike perpendicularly to the car on the trailer hitch. I believe the tongue weight for our cars are something like 200lbs, that my question is if i got a uhaul hitch assembly would that have a totally different much stronger tongue weight then the subaru one. I have an '07 is it matters...

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,460 Posts
I would guess that the tongue weight on the Uhaul hitch would be around 350 pounds. I think that either hitch itself is strong enough to hold much more than that; but due to the way that the extra weight would change how your car handles, they put those numbers on it. Also with a lot of weight on the rear of your car; it will probably cause your rear-end to sag a lot; but this depends on your suspension and I'm guessing that yours isn't stock..

·
Registered
2008 XT Manual
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've got swifts so its a little lower. would a small trailer be better for the car in the long term?

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
6,121 Posts
What size roughly is the moto-tote? What size small trailer do you think you need. I think the 200 lbs is an insurance/liability thing. I have a draw-tite that has 350 for tongue on it.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,916 Posts
... I believe the tongue weight for our cars are something like 200lbs... my question is if i got a uhaul hitch assembly would that have a totally different much stronger tongue weight then the subaru one. I have an '07 is it matters...
See http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_Subaru_Forester.htm.
And the trailer hitch thread here:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30094.

The DrawTite and Hidden and U-Haul hitches are made alike and have tongue weight capacities of 300 lbs.

The Curt and OEM Forester hitches are made alike and have tongue weight capacities of 350 lbs.

Page 8-20 of the Owners Manual says:
Ensure that the trailer tongue load is from 8 to 11 percent of the total trailer weight and does not exceed the maximum value of 200 lbs.
Why do you need a much stronger tongue weight capacity than 350 lbs for the hitch, if the capacity of the Forester is only 200 lbs? With 350 lbs on it, the hitch would be OK on a smooth road, but the rear suspension might sag. And when the car hit a bump that threw the tongue upward, the hitch and the car would bear much more than 350 lbs. A bumpy road might deform the hitch and pull its bolts out of the car.

·
Registered
2008 Sports 2.5x
340 Posts
Rule of thumb is that tongue weight is 10% of the GVW of the trailer loaded. I pull a 14' sailboat with a total weight of 1000 lbs with no problems. I also increase tire pressure in rear tires to 40 psi.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,916 Posts
The MotoTote plus dirtbike will weigh 200 lbs which is the Forester's limit for tongue weight. But the problem with that 200 lbs is not so much the weight of the tongue load but its rotation. Turns and bumps will try to rock the load from side to side, twisting the tongue. So the MotoTote has a 2" tongue, requiring a 2" receiver instead of the 1-1/4" receiver on the Forester hitches.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,520 Posts
I would say get yourself a little trailer, your car will handle better and it'll be easier on your suspension. After pretty much maxing out my suspension (front and rear) delivering newspapers, everything sags and squeeks. Plus, I'm sure you'll find more uses for your trailer than just hauling your bike!

I love my little harbor freight 5'x8', heck I just hauled off a load of about 25 pallets for free from craiglist to use for firewood!

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,916 Posts
I would say get yourself a little trailer, your car will handle better and it'll be easier on your suspension... I love my little harbor freight 5'x8'...
Didn't know they made a 5x8. You would have to buy two expensive sheets of 4x8 3/4" marine plywood and use only 12" out of the second sheet. Here's my 4x8 Harbor Freight folding trailer with a bike on it:

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,520 Posts
My bad, type. it's a 4x8. I don't have the fancy folding one tho, got it (very) used on craigslist for cheap, still need to redue all the wiring (only one side works).

Nice BMW!

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,916 Posts
... I think the 200 lbs is an insurance/liability thing. I have a draw-tite that has 350 for tongue on it.
The 200 lbs is a static load. When the car drives over dips and bumps that toss the tongue up and down, the dynamic load on the hitch and the car is much more. That is why the hitches are designed for tongue weights of 300 to 350 lbs.

The Draw-Tite hitch has a tongue weight rating of only 300 lbs:
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~36311.htm?vehicleid=20083177
The Curt and OEM have 350 lbs.

·
Registered
2008 XT Manual
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The MotoTote plus dirtbike will weigh 200 lbs which is the Forester's limit for tongue weight. But the problem with that 200 lbs is not so much the weight of the tongue load but its rotation. Turns and bumps will try to rock the load from side to side, twisting the tongue. So the MotoTote has a 2" tongue, requiring a 2" receiver instead of the 1-1/4" receiver on the Forester hitches.
its right at the limit and i know that would bother me. As for the hitch i'd get a uhaul 2". I'm gtting my brothers bicylerack for the price of on the house and also that 1 and 1/4 just looks silly. I know if i got a trailer i'd use it for so many things and i'd enjoy it, and i do feel it'd be best for the car. But the reason for asking was my brothers and i all share a mototote so i wouldn't be spending any money. I gotta wait until funds build back up before i can think about a trailer but i'll try an get a trailer album thread going in the member gallery. thanks for all the help guys...
o-dubs

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,916 Posts
... As for the hitch i'd get a uhaul 2"...
U-Haul does not make their own hitches. They use hitches made for them that are the same as Hidden and DrawTite, all of which may be actually made by Reese.

The Forester towing capacity is Class I, and all the Forester hitches are already oversized at Class II with 1-1/4 inch receiver. I don't think you will find a Forester hitch with a 2 inch receiver, as it indicates a Class III capacity of 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lb trailer weight.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
1,561 Posts
FWIW I just got done towing a 5x8 trailer loaded down to the gills 1200 miles on Swift springs. I'm pretty sure the tongue weight was much over 200 pounds and it towed it just fine. The back end had the rear tires tucking slightly into the fenderwells but it was still very stable. Needless to say I wasn't doing any hard driving and it was almost all in a straight line. I'm pretty sure the trailer was over the 2400 lb tow rating though, I had all my tools and a whole bunch of other stuff in it. :shrug:

-Steve

·
Registered
2005 XS
170 Posts
My 2005 XS is rated to tow 2,400 lbs, according to the owner's manual. I had a Subaru hitch installed at the local Subaru dealer. Odd that the Subaru hitch has a label stating the maximum load is 2,000 lbs. Hmmm. Subaru car rated for 2,400 lbs and Subaru hitch rated for 2,000 lbs. ***???

I e-mailed Subaru and got an answer the same day. Here is the response:

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

The hitch for the 2005 Forester is part # L101SSA000 and has a 2400 lbs towing capacity. I contacted Performance Subaru on your behalf. I spoke with Brian, the Subaru service manager. Brian confirmed the same part number for the hitch that was installed on your Forester. The sticker is incorrect. Please feel free to contact Brian if you have any additional questions about the installation; 919-942-3191.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Best wishes,
Nancy Quinn
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department

How about that for service from the manufacturer! I'm impressed!

Ray Lovinggood

1 - 20 of 20 Posts