Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bobby,
I'm new to the game. Been driving an Mx5 Mazda (Miata) for a while but need to switch to some bigger wheels and head into the world of off road action! I've always wanted to get into off road and now is the time. I posted this thread asking for advice:

Hi all,

I'm new to the Forum and I'm just about to buy a Forester - And was wondering if any of you 'Forester Experts' might be able to advise me on the best decision, please.

I have the opportunity to buy either a 2005 Forester MY05 XS with Auto Levelling Suspension - OR - a 2005 MY06 model with viscous coupling and drive-by-wire (elect. throttle control). The MY06 also has slightly higher power and torque spread over a wider rev range. However, it doesn't have the auto levelling suspension. What would you guys steer towards?

Thankyou in advance,

Anthony:icon_biggrin:

Have you got any ideas Bobby? Thanks for your welcome note.
ps will set up a better profile when I have time!
Tone

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,753 Posts
I did see from another post you made that you were looking for a Forester. Good luck on your Forester research & purchase! :cool:

I don't think I can help you with your "self-leveling suspension" question. I really don't know much about that feature, other than a quick look on a google search. Most of the forum threads referring to that appears to be from outside of the States. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bobby,
In Australia, the 2005 XS model has 'auto levelling suspension', which is an extra feature that the base X model doesn't have. But, I have been told in my 'Forester Shopping' thread: "got an opinion", that if the struts go they are very expensive to replace (when you have 'auto levelling suspension (sls)) and you have to replace springs also.
I was advised to go for the MY06 model.
Cheers for googling it and the well wishes re my purchase!
T

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:
I'd also advise against the SLS suspension models... the only real source for the replacement struts are from the dealership, so they charge you a lot more for them. And if you wanted to switch to another non-SLS strut, you'd need to get a new set of springs. I'd say take the newer model without the SLS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts