Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nothing major planned for the car, but I want to keep a record of my time with it so that I can pass it on in the unlikely event that I ever sell it.

There's a bit of catch-up to do as I've owned it for a couple of years now.

This is the day I bought it, spent slightly more than I was hoping but it felt like a good fit for me

The first thing I had done to it was the a service and belts and pumps, it had been a while since they were changed last so I thought that it was worth doing to be on the safe side.

It also developed a clunk a month or so after buying it, so got the suspension refurbished.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next minor mod was fitting a strut brace and some rally flaps

I really liked the look of the flaps, however had a few issues with them dragging and catching between the kerb and tyres when manouvering that caused some body work damage so took them off again. I may refit in the future, but I'd need to modify the brackets so they sit slightly higher and further in.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally, after about a year of ownership, I decided to get it mapped to run on UK fuel and add a bit more power.

They bumped it up from 264 bhp to 300 (295ft/lbs to 318 respectively). It was the first time I had done this on a car, I was expecting the increase in performance and MPG but I couldn't get over how much smoother it felt after the map.

I kept it fairly low as it was my daily drive at the time, since then I bought a cheap runabout so may take it back at some point and take it up to 330 or so at some point. Will need a couple of other minor mods to get there safely though.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also took it on my first ever track day, we had a real mix of weather with bright sunshine and torrential downpours

The car dealt with it all with no issues at all, I got a compliment from the instructor because she was impressed how quick it was with enough space to fit her sheep in the back....

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, with the lockdown in full effect i have had some time to make some plans for the future. As I said in the first post, I have no major modifications planned, just a few tweaks to improve on the already brilliant car it is.

So, the checklist is:
  • Put some work into the engine bay to get it looking a bit nicer
    • Sort the rusty header tank cover, either a new header tank or just treat and paint the one that's there already
    • gas bonnet struts
    • new turbo heatshield as the old one has developed a rattle
    • radiator shroud
    • oil filler cap, battery tie-down, dress-up bolts etc
    • brake stopper
    • change hoses to match the new radiator hose
  • Fix the airbox and put a new panel filter in
  • sort the cloudy headlights, lenses need to come off as the worst of it is now on the inside
  • possibly change to LED headlights, need to do some proper research on this though
  • coilovers - I had the suspension refurbished just after I bought it but its already developing a clunk so may just swap them out.
  • droplinks/ARB/bushes
  • remap with associated mods (thinking it'll need an uprated fuel pump, but need to do some proper research on this also)
  • Sort the bodywork, being a daily driver hasn't been kind. Other cars seem to be drawn to it in carparks so it has a few scuffs that need sorting.
  • Alloy wheel refurbish - this is pretty low on the list to be honest, find it hard to bring myself to spend so much on making something look nice that gets so much abuse.
  • Engine mounts and pitch-stopper - this is more of a long-term thing, ideally I'd like to get a go in a car with this done to see how it effects the nvh
I'll be updating and adding to this list as I go along.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers @Kevin I'll keep the two seperate for the time being though as this is mainly to record what I've done rather than covering my aimless blundering and inane questions ;)

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had high hopes for a productive day working on the car today, didn't quite go according to plan though.

From left-to-right, I had a new panel filter, replacement airbox (the old one had cracked), new radiator stays, battery clamp and oil filler cap and a turbo heatshield. I also decided to get rid of the old bonnet liner because it was fraying quite badly around the edges and a couple of the clips had broken.

It all started well with removing the liner and replacing with some sound deadening and new liner from silent coat.

old liner in poor condition:

line removed and sound deadening mat installed on the flat panel elements:

silent coat buffler over the top:

Haven't had a chance to drive it around just yet, but the bonnet gives a very satisfying 'thunk' when it closes now. Will see how much of a difference it makes when actually driving later on this week.

Once the bonnet was done I moved onto the heat shield. First stage was to removed the airbox as i was changing it anyway and it gave me slighty better access to the heatshield bolts.

This is where it all started to go wrong though, managed to get 4 of the 6 bolts out with a bit of swearing and elbow grease, unfortunately the 5th bolt sheared. It is also the one in the most inaccessible location, on the side between the turbo and intercooler. Luckily, I managed to find the broken bolt head so I don't have bits of metal rattling around the engine:

Not 100% sure how I'm going to resolve this at the moment, I've put the other bolts back in so the heatshield is re-attached. Not too concerned about it coming loose or anything as there are 5 others keeping it in place, but I am worried it'll start rattling once it the engine gets up to temperature and that side is not secured. I plan on removing the intercooler later on this year to give it an overhaul, so will be able to get much better access to it then.

The Cobb heatshield only has three mounting spots, one of which is the sheared bolt, so I decided against carrying on with the swap until I could get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

This all took a while to work through so didn't get a chance to do the other bits, will attempt them later on this week when I have some spare time.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, with the help of @don1952 it seems that the snapped bolt is attached to a bracket that is easily removed, which is good news.

I'll remove the heatshield and bracket soon so that I can drill the broken bolt out and replace the whole unit with the shiny Cobb unit, I'll also put a turbo blanket seeing as I'll be messing about in there again.

I also fitted some bonnet struts that arrived recently, really pleased with the action on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts