1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tokheim mod's on a XS 2010

Hello all,
I really like the mod journals at this forum, and that's why i was thinking of starting one myself. Although this first mod, is not as great as a lot of journals here, but it's a start.

So first a couple of pic's of the first day (12 january 2010) of my Forester X Luxury 2010 in Holland.

Day 1 12 january 2010 Holland

Finally the snow is gone, so i could clean the bottom of the car for my first mod on my Subbie. The looks of the standard exhaust is really a bummer, this has to be improved. So it must be painted black and the blowpipe must be a chrome and bigger one. The end result is really an enormous looks-improvement, i really like it know.

The before and after pic's of the exhaust modification.

Parts:

Exhaust before

Exhaust painted black

Exhaust end result

Side shot

Side shot 2

Because i really like my iPhone and do everything with that gadget, it must be a part of my Forester too. So i decided to pickup the iPhone TomTom carkit and placed it in the middle console. This is an absolute brilliant place in my opinion, not that visible for thieves and fully reachable when driving. It's also a Handsfree carkit with a bluetooth connection, it charged the iPhone, i can navigate and it played the music through my stereo via the Aux input.
I placed the wires in the compartment between the front seats. The only problem was a litlle noise, but this was solved by placing a GROUNDLOOP ISOLATOR WITH 3.5MM MINI EARPHONE PLUG JACK between the Aux-in and the iPhone and now it's perfect.

I also added a PLX Kiwi adapter to play with all kind of Gauges, Skid Pad, Graphs, Engine Check and more... which are available through the OBDII i.c.w. the software from Dev Toaster, Rev 2.0, this is especially made for the iPhone / iPod Touch.

iPhone TomTom carkit

iPhone in TomTom carkit

Rev 2.0 software with the Forester information

iPhone with Gauges from Rev 2.0

iPhone and (hidden) PLX device

After 4 weeks of waiting my STi Shift knob arrived, it looks good!!

Shift knob before

STi Shift knob

Last update!

Finally i had the guts to swap my grill with the Sporty one. And it was a piece of cake actually. I also add the rear bumper plate, so the front and the back of my Forester looks a little bit different now, and i like it a lot.

Standard grille

New Sports grille

Black rear bumper plate

As Of Now!!

Theo

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,094 Posts
Very nice start on your Member Journal! :cool:

I agree, the mufflers on the new Forester should be painted black at the factory. The blacked out muffler & the chrome tips really dress up the back of your Forester! :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, it's indeed looking much bettter!
Just installed the iPhone TomTom carkit withthe PLX device, it's fun playing around with it now also in the Forester.

Theo

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
Nice job!!! it makes me want to buy an iPhone. Does this PLX work with other equipment than the iPhone? oh, I wish I had not read this post, now I have to spend lots of money.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Premium, auto
18 Posts
Does that Iphone TomTom kit have an aux GPS antenna? Or does it just use the signal from the Iphone, I live (temporarily) in area that modern conveniences such as 3G cell service is not available.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does that Iphone TomTom kit have an aux GPS antenna? Or does it just use the signal from the Iphone, I live (temporarily) in area that modern conveniences such as 3G cell service is not available.
No aux GPS antenna, but a built in GPS which you can activate with an TomTom app.

Here's is a quote from TomTom:

Why does the car kit have an integrated Global Positioning System (GPS) when my iPhone 3G or 3GS already has GPS?

TomTom wants to offer the best in-car navigation experience for the iPhone. By putting a Global Positioning System (GPS) in the car kit, there is a major improvement in GPS reception, leading to more accurate and timely navigation instructions. This gives you simply the best possible navigation on the iPhone 3G or 3GS.

Theo

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job!!! it makes me want to buy an iPhone. Does this PLX work with other equipment than the iPhone? oh, I wish I had not read this post, now I have to spend lots of money.
Hi there, yes this is a real sweet gadget to play with.
Here's the website with all the info. This PLX device (KIWI WIFI) is compatible with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Theo

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Very nice. I like the use of the iPhone.

A friendly piece of advice for us who like to look at your pics...could you use the host mode.

Again, great use of an iPhone.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update my Fozzie with a STi Shift knob, pictures are in the first post. It's not only the looks, but it felt also very sporty, cool!

Theo

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that's funny, i don't like that place at all. In my Outback it was placed there (well almost..) with a brodit mount. But in the Forester, in my opinion it's a brilliant spot. Not too much in sight (for thieves), no wires in sight, always powered and the Navigation instructions runs through the speakers, so no need for looking down.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Holland – closer to heaven?

Well that's funny, i don't like that place at all. In my Outback it was placed there (well almost..) with a brodit mount. But in the Forester, in my opinion it's a brilliant spot. Not too much in sight (for thieves), no wires in sight, always powered and the Navigation instructions runs through the speakers, so no need for looking down.
Sure - except the proven fact that there is no reliable satelite reception for the iPhone / Tomtom Carkit, down where you have placed it. Trust me, I have tried it, and with several iPhones. Cellular network signal – fine. GPS Satelite signal – nope. Your theory that "Holland is closer to the satelites than other locations"..... not so, Tokheim :banana:

But I agre with you on one point – window mounted gear is annoying. My compromise is working pretty well, after a couple of weeks test. A RAM Mount for iPhone (with an interchangeable cradle for my Garmin) mounted to the outside of the center console, with a 12" flexible rod. This puts the GPS received at a level where it "looks" out through the windows, without being in my direct line of sight. Still, it is hight enough for quick glances or adjustment.

RAM Mounts are fantastic. I have one on my motorcycle, as well as on the cayak, with interchangeble cradles giving me the option to mount any of my GPS receivers or video camera. Easy to adjust and indestructable.

M.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure - except the proven fact that there is no reliable satelite reception for the iPhone / Tomtom Carkit, down where you have placed it. Trust me, I have tried it, and with several iPhones. Cellular network signal – fine. GPS Satelite signal – nope. Your theory that "Holland is closer to the satelites than other locations"..... not so, Tokheim :banana:

M.
I do trust you, but....i only can speak for myself that i do have reliable satelite reception in Holland with my (and your) setup, i'm sorry :Banane08: I use the PLX, Navigon and TOMTOM with the GPS and all work fine without drop outs. So your theory of the proven fact is only valid with your Forester and not with mine!

Theo

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello all, i updated the 1e post with pictures of my upgrades: Sports grille and a rear bumper plate!
I finally had the guts to put the Sports grille on, because of the bumper issue, but it was actually a 2 hour job.
I like the nose-job a lot!!

What's next?

Theo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts