Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point do you think - I'm not going to put any more cash in a car.

My 2001 turbo has 137k miles on it, and since I've owned it, aside from service items it's had a rear wheel bearing, a MAF sensor, a lambda sensor, a radiator and front drop links. It's only let me down once when the rad split, it was actually when I needed it most but that weekend we some some spectacularly bad luck so I'm not too surprised :icon_frown:

The suspension is really tired and I'll probably need to replace discs and pads before the winter. I know it's old and has lots of miles so I expect to be replacing parts, but I can't help wondering at what point I should cut my losses and move on. My fear is that I replace the suspension and brakes, then I have clutch or head gasket problems and I end up pouring money into it. I will admit the current price of fuel is also at the back of my mind as well :icon_mad:

Not sure what to do. :confused: Thoughts anyone?

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Always a difficult question

but parts dont have to be expensive

Just do your homework as to where to buy and keep an eye on the market place

sounds from your post that you have been tempted by £2500 to trade in for a new Skoda or I might be wrong

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
I know exactly how you feel m8. I have put more money into my foz than i ever thought i would and much more than i should. After all it's a base model N/A. But luckily, just as I'm about to throw in the towel over the cost of new rear struts or a back box i come across them for next to no money. But the cost of fuel is beginning to be an issue. With all the sh1t that's gonna hit the fan in this country soon, goodness knows what'll happen with the forester. I hate to say it, but i can see the foz getting sold on and us just running our little 52 reg Punto for a while.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
source stuff from scrappers as well mate. always good fun. depends if you can devote the time to the car yourself in order to keep the costs low as well, eh? Biggest waste of my time, cars :)

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
Don't sell it. Park it for awhile and see how much you miss it (a lot I'll bet). This way you don't have to kick yourself for selling it once you want it back.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Also factor in what you'd lose in depreciation on a newer car against the cost of parts / fuel. If you 'want' something other than the Foz, that's one thing. If it's just for economics, then you may find it cheaper to keep it despite the high running costs.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good points - thanks.

I suppose I don't want to get into the cycle of each thing I fix causes something else to break. I am frustrated that I've had to pay garage labour on jobs I can do myself because I am short on time. There is something else I have my eye on, but funds wont allow it for a while yet.

Parking up for a bit is a good idea, I have the mini to use which is better on fuel, although I then get frustrated at its lack of overtaking capability.

I'm talking myself round in circles here :icon_rolleyes: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after much umming and arring about flights last weekend we decided the risk of our flight to Disneyland Paris being delayed or cancelled was not going to spoil our holiday, so we booked the foz onto the euro tunnel instead. The car ran faultlessly. :icon_biggrin: We had an overnight stop in Ashford on the way down so we got an early crossing. Arrived in France at 7.30am and got to our hotel next to the park at 10.30am.

2 and a half days at Disney #it's a small world after all# :crazy:

On the way back, we left Paris at 2.30pm and were home in bed by 11pm, including 4 stops (2 for food and 2 for fuel). I filled it up every 300 miles, and each time the tank took around 47 litres, not too bad with constant cruising at 80mph.

As soon as my wallet recovers I'll be looking for new suspension as I reckon big ol' red (my daughters name for the foz) is a keeper :biggrin:

Only annoying thing is our flight didn't get cancelled so we lost our money on that. Never was good at gambling... :shrug:

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
You see. Just when you start to frown upon the foz, it'll always put a smile back on ya face.

Will keep an eye out for shocks for ya m8.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Similar situation here, T/tb has 107k now on the clock so decided to just do what had to be done from now on...usual servicing and replacement of wear and tear. Apart that is from the possibility of a new front bumper (Cheers MYKP) as I never liked the rounded front end !
Beginning to ponder a change and newer car at some point in the next couple of years, how's that for forward planning !

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
With me it's simple - I need the space and I like the go/rarity/Subaru quality/whatever. There ain't nothing else I can afford that will give me that. Fuel is a pain but the car's all mine with no finance so it's not expensive. If I figured the depreciation I'd be annoyed so I dont. Plus I'm on my 8th year of Forester ownership and I'm still not bored with it and I don't particularly hanker after anything else.

I know a guy with a classic Impreza who has 20 grand in it and it's not on looks, it's almost stock to look at. Slightly different situation I suppose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts