Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 Forester XT

I've found a couple threads that say that removing the resonator sounds horrible. Does it only sound bad on a stock exhaust?

The reason I'm asking is because something is loose in my resonator and it makes a horrible rattle. I found that thread that describes a baffle or something that has come loose and you have to open the resonator, remove the baffle, then weld it shut. My exhaust guy would rather just remove the resonator all together or buy a brand new one. If he removed the resonator, I assume it would sound horrible with a stock exhaust system. What else would I need to do to make it sound ok and not loud to attract attention?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
I have a 2.5" Prodrive muffler, and I couldn't hear any difference after replacing my stock mid-pipe with a non-resonated one. I still have the old mid-pipe in my closet. If you were closer, you could take it from me for free. I have no idea how much it would be to ship it.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
+1, I doubt it makes a huge difference. You can find an OEM FXT, WRX or STi mid-pipe for practically free, search on Craigslist and Subaru forums.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
I have a 2.5" Prodrive muffler, and I couldn't hear any difference after replacing my stock mid-pipe with a non-resonated one.
The Prodrive has a resonator in the tip, hence why you saw no difference. If you were to remove the resonator with the factory axle back you would definitely hear a difference at given RPM's. Just find a used OEM one, with all the people on here that have done exhaust swaps someone will bite.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Stuff in your resonator rattling? Has bits of your cat come out? But if it's really just the baffle then yeah, there are plenty of stock mids around here (or even get a WRX or STI one). I'm sure some are just keeping them in case but for the right price would sell.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a used midpipe online and had it shipped to my house. Removed the old one and sure enough, it is something inside rattling around. The cat is fine so I know its not any of that. Got the used midpipe on, and immediately it has the same problem. Well not immediately, it started out only having the noise at a certain RPM, but now it is all the time again. Just my luck.

I think to avoid being unlucky again and getting another used midpipe thats broken, I'll just find a used Prodrive and replace the midpipe with a straight pipe. Should have just done that from the start....

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Are you sure it's your resonator/midpipe and not something in the DP or cats that's been shooting out into the mid?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm pretty sure. When I looked into the cat it looked perfect. I shook the old midpipe around and nothing came out and the thing that rattles stays in one place...it never moves. I plan on cutting part of the old midpipe off so I can see exactly what is rattling but I haven't had time yet.

The new used midpipe had a tapping noise at around 3000 i'd guess. As long as I was idling or cruising it was fine, but when I was accelerating you'd hear it tapping. The tapping has since changed to a rattle at idle or light acceleration. I can even tap the midpipe with a rubber hammer and hear it rattle. To me it sounds like metal on metal.

A found another thread that explained this same problem. He opened his midpipe up and found a baffle with a pipe passing through the baffle. The pipe was welded in place but the welds broke so the pipe was just wobbling trapped by the baffle...I'm picturing a seesaw. I'll know as soon as I open my old one I guess.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Interesting. Ok, we'll take some pics and let us know. We were kind of hoping you could have picked up a free mid heh

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could have probably looked around longer and found a free one but I was getting impatient and tired of the rattle all the time.

I'll be sure to post pics when I get it opened up.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,151 Posts
My 04 FXT has a broken resonator in the midpipe too, it rattles pretty badly. The TurboXS axleback still sounds pretty good though.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
218 Posts
I had a shop weld in a straight pipe when my resonator was rattling to death.

No difference except it rumbles off idle/idling quite nicely I think. The main sound defeating comes from all the cats in place. Now I imagine you could have a horrible raspy sound if you were catless with no resonator.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,956 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is how I thought it would sound: (Go to youtube, search " Subaru Legacy 2.5i, stock mufflers no resonator"....it wont let me post URL links yet)
and to me that sounds horrible.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do yet. I don't have the money to go and spend $300 on a new axleback. I know several guys that have magnaflows on their cars but I've never heard one on a subaru.

Bobby, How much would you guess I'd end up spending on a magnaflow and having it welded on? He already quoted me $30 to cut the resonator and weld in a straight pipe.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,956 Posts
Bobby, How much would you guess I'd end up spending on a magnaflow and having it welded on? He already quoted me $30 to cut the resonator and weld in a straight pipe.
I had the resonator on my '07 removed today. I was asked if I wanted to go with just a pipe. I opted for an aftermarket resonator... pretty much a small glasspack. Total for the resonator & labor was $65. The sound is a bit louder & deeper, but still has the Boxer Burble. :cool:

The Magnaflow axle back cost me $285. Some of that cost is for the Wicked (brand) stainless steel tip. It sounds like your muffler shop charges less, so you could be around the $200-250 range. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts