Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
I am new here and this is my first post. I am hoping that all you seasoned subie owners can give me your opinion.
I have a Subaru Forester 2002 that is tagged in the US which is where I have been living. It has approx 120000 mi on it. I am trying to figure out if I should import it into Canada, drive it until I think I need something newer and then sell it in Canada.
Or, sell it in the US now and buy a Canadian Subaru now and drive that instead.
I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the US vehicle will be resaleable in Canada when I am done with it, or do canadians typically not buy US vehicles anymore?
All opinions are appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Tj

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome glad you found us and we hope you stick around if you buy another Forester.

Yes you could sell the car here in Canada but in my opinion an older model would be tougher to sell than a newer model. Check AutoTrader.ca to get an idea of what it's worth here.

Would you consider selling it in the states and picking up another newer US model? If so my understanding was that Subaru Canada honoured the warranty on 07's no questions (this is when dollar parity last occured) but subsequent years you had to pay upfront and submit the claim to Subaru US and were eventually reimbursed. If you are willing to do this this thread should help http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f84/importing-us-2482/. If you can afford to pay for warranty work and wait to be reimbursed this may be a sound route to investigate.

It would also help to indicate a more accurate location other than Ontario in you profile. You might find someone local that can offer up an opinion as well.

Are you thinking of buying another Forester? Do you have a budget or specific model year that you'd consider?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Importing a car is pretty simple, but you'll have to declare a value to Canada Customs when you're clearing it in order for them assigning taxes to it.

I think you'd be best to call Canada Customs to have them explain things in that specific situation.
You'll have to be sure to get certain documents faxed to US Customs 3-days in advance of your planned crossing.

Also, make sure that specific model Forester is legal for import into Canada. I believe there were some restrictions regarding cars not equipped with an immobilizer key.
Registrar of Imported Vehicles

·
Registered
2002 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input good dog and duderotomy. I actually would like to keep my car and I am aware of how to import and what paperwork is needed. I talked with the correct authorities back in 2007 and they say my car can be imported no problem. I guess I wasn't exactly sure how to phrase my question.
I want to keep my car and have no plans of buying a newer one yet. However, when I am ready to sell my car down the road I don't want to have problems trying to sell it in Canada. For instance that no one wants a US vehicle. So I thought it might be an idea to sell my car now (in the US) and then buy a Canadian vehicle that down the road I would have no problem selling in Canada.
What do you think?
My sister tells me that my car is worth more here in Canada than in the US, but will people want to buy an older Subaru from the US down the road?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yours is OK to sell in Canada as long as title in hand you sell higher & buy higher in Canada ... if you sell yours cheaper in USA and will end up buying one more expensive in Canada.

Are you US or Canada citizen?
When you drive cross the border, what purpose do you tell the border officials when entering Canada. Will the Canada customs access you the import tax or other taxes by the time you decide to sell in Canada?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I think you will have no problem selling the car here in a few years. The older car will have to be in line price wise with what is comparable here. With depreciation and expenses, you're not going to reap a profit like a newer model would that was purchased when the dollars were last at par or close to it.

A knowledgeable buyer will recognize that the replacement parts will be the same, but a US VIN might baffle the Canadian parts departments when it comes to ordering some parts where upgrades have happened during the models run and their parts information does not cover US VIN's. You can always order parts from Jackie at Annapolis Subaru :biggrin:

And when it comes time to buy a new/newer car, who knows what the currency exchange rates will be, it may or may not be feasible to import another US model and save some money.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Limited Sport Utility 4D (PZEV)
1 Posts
Hi!

Subi newbie here...I'm in a similar situation and wondering if it's wise to import my forester to Quebec, CAN...go through the paperwork headache, etc. I've seen a few selling up here for $9K at non-dealer auto sellers, where in the states they're still like, $14...which skeeves me out a little bit.

Does anyone have any experience/tips/thoughts?

2010 forester PZEV model, 40K miles.

Thanks!

M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts