Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am new to the subie world and have been looking for my first forester.
My question is: I've seen a few foresters 03-04 2.5 xt"s w/ 100,000 miles listed at around 6000. Does this sound right?
Also was wondering if anyone has had experience buying from used car dealers
if only bought used cars from the dealer or privatly. Never from a "non braned" place. Hope that makes sence.
Thanks for the help.
-Brian

·
Registered
2003 Forester
21 Posts
The price range is pretty good. My area the price is about 8,000 for over 100,000 miles.

The thing is with small dealers it all boils down to the person who owned the Subie. Most small dealers get theirs from auction houses. The large dealers may get them as trade ins. Normal things to look for, Transmission fluid is red and doesn't smell burnt. Check the front differential dip stick for clean and full level gear lube. Review the tires for wear on the inside which may be from wheel alignment being off.

I have only 83,000 miles on mine but it runs like a champ.The only thing I don't like is it seems you have to keep on top of tire rotation if not not the tires will wear quicker.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,392 Posts
Bear in mind that the Timing belt needs changed at 105K miles. That service is north of 1000 bucks bc the water pump, idlers, seals, etc are replaced.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Hello all!

I am new to the subie world and have been looking for my first forester.
My question is: I've seen a few foresters 03-04 2.5 xt"s w/ 100,000 miles listed at around 6000. Does this sound right?
Also was wondering if anyone has had experience buying from used car dealers
if only bought used cars from the dealer or privatly. Never from a "non braned" place. Hope that makes sence.
Thanks for the help.
-Brian
The XT wasn't introduced until 04. 6k for an XT sounds quite low. That sounds like about what an off lease or salvage title one would go for.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts
I just got my 04 XT with 160000 kms for $10,500. I waited for an absolute minter with impeccable service records and maintenance, I don't mind paying over market value (slightly over in my opinion) for the peace of mind knowing the vehicles history inside and out. When I called the local dealer the service rep knew the vehicle inside out and had a great relationship with the single lady owner over the lifetime of their ownership, consistent oil changes etc.

$6k sounds way to low for it not to have a chequered past in my opinion but the market place here in the pacific north west for good condition manual subarus is few and far between. I also have to deal with the whole, 'oh your in Canada' that bumps the price 15% over similar USA prices and then there is the 'Vancouver tax' being in Vancouver adds 10% to the sale price too.

Oh the fun of living in an area where people have more money than sense :eek:(

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
SOA offered me $13,300 on a trade-in last November...that was with 75,000 miles on a 2004 FXT with all dealer servicing...if you can pick up one for $4000, be prepared to put in 10K and make it an FXSTi !!!
-Quick

I just got my 04 XT with 160000 kms for $11,000. I waited for an absolute minter with impeccable service records and maintenance, I don't mind paying over market value (slightly over in my opinion) for the peace of mind knowing the vehicles history inside and out. When I called the local dealer the service rep knew the vehicle inside out and had a great relationship with the single lady owner over the lifetime of their ownership, consistent oil changes etc.

$6k sounds way to low for it not to have a chequered past in my opinion but the market place here in the pacific north west for good condition manual subarus is few and far between. I also have to deal with the whole, 'oh your in Canada' that bumps the price 15% over similar USA prices and then there is the 'Vancouver tax' being in Vancouver adds 10% to the sale price too.

Oh the fun of living in an area where people have more money than sense :eek:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This Forester has been haunting, I constantly see if in my searches so I broke down and got the carfax for it. It had been dealer maintained since day one with routine maintenance. AND the timing belt has been changed!
I think I am going to go down and check it out. I was hoping you guys could give me a check list of what to look for.
Thanks
-Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ps I think my main concern right now is that its being sold at an "off brand" dealer. for some reason i feel like these guys are sleazy, although i have never dealt with them

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Remember, the dealer may be sleazy, but it may still be a good car. Give a deposit and take it to a reputable shop for a once over. It sounds like it's got good records and well taken care of. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a good deal on a gem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I finally went and checked out this forester!! It looks like a pretty good deal so far, I am bringing it to a Subaru dealership tomorrow a.m. to get a per-purchase inspection. The problems I found were pretty minor for the most part:
-Last (and only owner) was definitely a smoker, only found on cigarette burn on the drivers seat.
-A few scratches on the exterior which is to be expected, and there was a small rust spot the size of my thumb nail on the passenger side.
-The passenger side electronic mirror didnt work (fuse?).
-During the test drive I noticed there was a lot of "play" in the break (maybe just needs ajusting).

All in all it seemed like a strong running car, and as long as the subie mechanice dosne't find anything wrong i can have it for 6.5k..
What do you guys thing? Deal or no deal?
ps that XT has some strong pickup!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts