Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on the web about using a lightened flywheel. I've read quite a few people say the lightest one (the Fidanza 9.5lb) has caused misfires and ECU problems. I think this may only be with WRX's but I can't be sure. I think for this reason I'm going to go with an ACT 14lb street flywheel. This is about 10lbs lighter than stock.

I'm going to do my clutch soon since mine doesn't seem to have enough holding power, so if I'm gonna do the flywheel now is the time.

Has anyone tried a lighter flywheel with thier 2.5L NA subie?

Also noone lists a flywheel for a Forester, what is my 2000 Forester S flywheel the same as? In the ACT application guide I'm guessing the part is the same for a Impreza & Legacy 96-99 2.5L as for my 2000 Forester S. Can anyone tell me for sure?

ACT application guide PDF

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
you want the flywheel and/ or clutch for a 98-2001 impreza 2.5 rs. i bought the act street clutch and the 14 lb lightened flywheel that you are talking about and have had them on the car for about a month or so and all is good so far. the clutch holds more than you'll ever need for a NA engine and could easily hold modded wrx engine power. as for the flywheel the revs drop very quickly and i think it does rev a little easier with a load on as well. i did not see an enormous jump in hp or tq unleashing or did i feel that the car was that much faster or at least it wasn't as much as i had expected.
but both were good investments and i don't regret doing either.
good buy in my book

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
i've never heard of gripforce but it seems like a good product and they seem to have done their research on the cars it's made for, but i would be hesitant buying a clutch that i have never heard of before or never read any reviews of. i researched my clutch and flywheel for a long time and read every bit of information i could about it before i bought.
where did you read about this on the web where it said it was pretty darn good?
in my oppinion i would not buy this clutch unless i had the chance to talk to someone who has it on their car or at least read about it. i think i would rather buy the exedy clutch found here http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=legacy&cat=driveline&prodid=62

1 - 5 of 5 Posts