Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Forester STI Manual 6 Speed
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new shiny toy has caught my eye so I am now deliberating whether the invest in my now slightly tired FSTI or swap it out for a new shiny thing.

I see prices are still strong for new imports, but I know after 101k miles mine needs some TLC, which I estimate in the region of around £2k (wheel refurb, tyres, new shock absorbers or coilovers, and bodywork tidy up, replacement rear door card recently damaged moving a load of wood about - I could have slapped myself), so from my point of view I would have thought that somewhere around £5-£6k would probably be a fair price?

To be fair the new shiny thing comes from the same land far far away, and wears the same badge.......

I am totally torn and massively indecisive, which is not like me...... :)

Any (relevant) thoughts welcomed (I know what you lot are like) ;)

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
434 Posts
I’d say it’s probably worth around £7k as long as the mechanicals such as the engine/gearbox are sound. The suspension of its got strut knock can be fixed on the cheap with the grease nipple mod. The rest of the stuff can be fixed relatively easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
434 Posts
To aid you in your decision, the panel would need to know more about said shiny new toy
Also what @Lockheed ; said! Pics or it didn’t happen!

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, the shiny potential new toy is a Legacy GT-B WR Ltd. This one:

Always fancied one, and was torn when I got this FSTI back in Aug 2011, was looking for both, but there were almost no GTB's around at the time.

Yeah I know it is all relatively superficial and can all be reasonably easily fixed hence the total dilemma of whether to stick or switch. The FTSI had the HG's done about 10k ago when a new clutch was put in while the engine was out, and the gearbox is quiet but notchy (as it always has been). my main niggle is various duty worn bits of paint, but when cI spend a day cleaning it properly the crystal grey paint still looks amazing.

I've already been pricing all the fix-it requirements including splashing out on new wheels (which is another dilemma as most wheel sites are not convincing from the off as they give the wrong PCD). Currently looking at the BBS-SR and MSW 29 wheels, along with about half a dozen more but zero idea if they will fit, other than guessing that If I put bugeye sti as the car so it gives the right 5x100 PCD then they should fit ?

I also expect that if I go complete suspension replacement I could probably shift the genuine STI pink springs for a few quid as well when I scrap the struts.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,471 Posts
Oooo That's a tough call !

Oddly, I thought the JDM Spec B came with 4 pot caliprs from the WRX.

Does the Legacy come with a Getrag bullet proof gearbox too?

If you can live with the different driving/seating position and less ground clearance, I would be very tempted to go with the Legacy - But I really like the WRB so that's a big part of it

That 2.0 engine is probably less susceptible to headgasket or ringland failure where as on the FSTI............

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,966 Posts
How funny, Paul.

I've been having similar thoughts and was eyeing this up...

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
434 Posts
If all ya’ll are jumping ship to the Legacy, can I have your strut braces?

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,007 Posts
How funny, Paul.

Unfortunately thats what happens when your old (mentally)

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,471 Posts
'Tis a shame there was never a JDM Subaru Baja with a 2.0 twinscroll turbo or in a perfect world, a 2.2 turbo in WRB with the STI Getrag 6 speed + Brembos................

That I could justify changing my Forester for.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
805 Posts
Keep your know and nice Subi, show it some love by fixing/maintenance what it needs, will cost less in the long run.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How funny, Paul.

Interesting that one has a different centre console/dash panel, but is otherwise the same.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oooo That's a tough call !

Oddly, I thought the JDM Spec B came with 4 pot caliprs from the WRX.

Does the Legacy come with a Getrag bullet proof gearbox too?

If you can live with the different driving/seating position and less ground clearance, I would be very tempted to go with the Legacy - But I really like the WRB so that's a big part of it

That 2.0 engine is probably less susceptible to headgasket or ringland failure where as on the FSTI............
The slightly later legacy defintely has the 2 pots and they also did a "tuned by STI" version that came with full on brembos, so I imagine a swap can be made.

it is a 2.0 twin scroll so imagine it will be a more responsive drive than the FSTI with less lag, but at a similar power level (to my FSTI anyway) I imagine that it will fell about the same performance wise.

It should be that little bit bigger which would be nice in terms of the boot not having to be loaded to the roof quite so much, and I would have though slightly more legroom in the back for my two 6ft teenage sons so they stop kneeing me in the back when I'm driving. I could ask them to sit up, but I could just as easily waste my breath on something more useful like breathing :)

I've asked for more details on the blue one, and they have said they would take the FSTI trade-in (although at silly money no doubt), so we'll see. Apparently it is at the bodyshop at the moment as there was a lot of sun/heat induced paint fade on the rear spoiler so it is being repainted.

It was a 3.5 at auction, I have the auction sheet, it has quite a few panels with W1 on them which it indicates as repaired, but I'm not sure what it means by that, whether it has been knocked and fixed or something else. Never bought a fresh import before.

Reactions: TMX

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
prodrift ? can you pm or post the username, I'm not familiar with them

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
562 Posts
Wow that is a beautiful Legacy. Its interesting that the interior looks similar to the styling of SJ Forester. Like you I would be tempted. I think I vote go for it. ( Assuming your mechanic gives it the nod)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts