Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!

i'm a newbie here, currently contemplating spending for my first Subaru -a forester 2.5 X premium. my first toy was a CRV and switching to one with a boxer engine and AWD is still uncharted territory.

on my visit to to the dealer, i popped the big question of course: why should i buy a subaru? dealer came up with "ask any subaru owner, they'll all say they love it!"

so here i am, to somehow validate the claim...

nathan

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Umm...here's a little story...I'm sure everyone else has heard, so I'll make it the Cliff notes version:

We bought a 1998 Forester w/60k on the odometer. Kanga was a wonderful Forester, and she did everything we asked of her. She died saving the life of an inattentive girl, and in the process wound up upside down in a seven foot deep drainage ditch. I walked away with a scratch on my knee from extricating myself from her safe haven. I still miss Kanga.

With the insurance settlement, we went down to a used car dealer, and found a lonely, abused, white 2001 Forester S Premium. The rear seats were near threadbare where the child seats had been, but the engine/body panels/drivetrain were in great shape. Dubbed Kanga II, she entered our lives on December 26, 2003. In a series of events, I left her in Southern California in the care of RallyNav, as her Forester.
I now live with a Forester owner, and have the privilege of driving said Forester (XT) on the weekends, and occasionally during the week. Will I own anything that's not a Subaru? NOT LIKELY!!

1. Safest small SUV ever tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
2. Excellent handling (once you get rid of the stock tires), small enough not to be intrusive, yet big enough to haul things.
3. Have you got a look at the moonroof? 8 acres big, if it's a square inch!!
4. AWD - one of the most advanced and capable AWD systems on the market today.

Nathan, you simply need to take the plunge, buy one, and you'll understand. We have owners from all over the world here (even a few Chevrolet Forester owners from India), and you won't hear too many complaints...

·
Premium Member
'09 X
370 Posts
Subaru South Africa's current advertising slogan is "Drive one and you will understand". Not too many people would argue with that:cool:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
219 Posts
Best car ive ever had and my cousin just bought an '06 wrx and now everyone else in my family wants a subaru.

i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to subaru :D

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
After more than 20 years of company cars (new one every 3 years) I am now moving to a Forester XT.

I owned two Subaru's as company cars and would have kept with them if the company had kept them in the policy.

My last Subaru ended up going through a barbed wire fence, over a 6 foot terrace into a farmers field.

All because of a bloody big goat that stopped in my path down a gravel road whilst on a business trip.

I sat for a while after coming to a stop gathering my thoughts and thinking - ****, the boss is going to grill me on this.

I had a quick check of the vehicle, got back in, shifted into low ratio and drove out of the very wet field and back to the farmers house.

He laughed his head off as he had done the same thing a week earlier.

After a calming cup of tea, I drove 40 km's back to the nearest garage and they checked underneath for me.

The wheel alignment was out but apart from that and panel damage she was all good.

After a quick wheel alignment, I got back in and drove 300km's back to home.

Remarkable vehicle.

The boss was very understanding and promptly put me in another Subaru.

That was many years ago.

Glad to be going back to Subaru

ps - I'll be watching out for goats as well.:D

Edit - before anyone asks, the farmer was driving a Hilux when he went through the fence. It was a right off.

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
909 Posts
When I showed my Forester X (my first Subaru) to a close friend, I remarked, "I guess eventually, everyone gets a Subaru, right?" She and her husband were on their 3rd and 4th ones, respectively.

She replied with a knowing smile, "Only the smart ones do."

If I had it do do over, I would. Period.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IF only I could drive a Subaru I would have one right now - a knee injury (mountain biking 3 yrs ago) dictates that I must drive with my right leg almost fully extended. Being 6'4" with a busted knee has relegated me to driving lesser vehicles.

Fortunately though, my wife being 5'4" with great legs (in many regards) has allowed me to live vicariously through her. I of course get to drive her car occasionally and walk/limp away always muttering to myself that I wish I could drive a Subaru full time. This coming from someone who has owned much more expensive luxury German cars and currently drives an Acura TL (all for the manual capability with enough leg room).

I am known as the car guy/research hound in both my family and my in-laws. My wife’s cousin now drives a Subaru because of the Forester and both my parents and her parents are looking at having their next cars be Subaru’s.

I honestly cannot talk highly enough of the Forester to fully express how much we like it. Quick list:

1. Great handling
2. Perfect size - small enough to drive yet big enough to haul things when needed
3. Subaruforester.org/Scoobymods.com
4. Good gas mileage without being a dog <- big selling point for me
5. Safe <- huge selling point for me since it is my wife’s car

What can I say, I just love the car.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Subaru Forester:

-Made for all weather conditions
-Roomy
-SAFETY: Highest front and side crash ratings in its class
-PERFORMANCE: Winner 3 years straight for Car and Driver's 5 best trucks in the small SUV category
-RELIABILITY: Consumer reports top pick in its class for I can't remember how many straight years...but a lot none-the-less many years.
-Fulltime AWD (only company that has this AFAIK...all the rest are reactive AWD) but still gets good gas mileage
-top of the list for cheapest repair/parts

...and the list goes on and on.;)

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
I smile every time I drive my XT. the same thing with my old wrx. You just cant go wrong for the price, Subaru jams so much into such an affordable package, along with that comes great reliablility and a huge aftermarket support.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
Also, the Forester is the only "small SUV" that's really not an SUV, i.e. it has no rollover warning on the visor and meets/exceeds all passenger car safety standards. Subaru's AWD is lightyears ahead of the strange contraption Honda calls Realtime AWD on the CRV. There's a misnomer if I've ever seen one... :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, what can i say? i'd never read so many sincere testimonials in the CR-V forum before.

looking forward to joining the circle very soon!

gracias

:)

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts
If I don't drive my XT for awhile, I think yeah its a good car blah blah blah..but when I get in it, light the wick and step on the loud pedal..BLAM... I can't help but smile and think...why doesn't everyone have one of these!!

It blows the cobb webs out of your mind, chickens out of the barnyard and other cars off the road. It truly is an experience...

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
GTP said:
If I don't drive my XT for awhile, I think yeah its a good car blah blah blah..but when I get in it, light the wick and step on the loud pedal..BLAM... I can't help but smile and think...why doesn't everyone have one of these!!

It blows the cobb webs out of your mind, chickens out of the barnyard and other cars off the road. It truly is an experience...
Preach it brother!

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
985 Posts
SirWilliam

I just have to comment on NoVa:

"NoVa...where the grass is greener and the dogs pee and poop on it"

...Don't tell the developers about that blade of grass you found in NoVa, they'll try to build townhouses on it!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just to say this is my third Subaru - the first two were Imprezas for the rally style experience but now I'm trying for respectability so I have a Forester.
I've had it seven months - driven half way across Europe on everything from Italian autostradas ( Ben Hur with four wheels and petrol engines - I love it) to mountain tracks.
As reliable as the dawn and my daily drive.
Buy it - the only problem is the addiction to Subarus (and modifying them)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is my first subaru, although my Dad has many, we had a 1987 subie wagon with a cool digital speedometer and electronic adjustable suspension, we had 1992 Subaru SVX, I actually traded it in for mine. We have a 1993 Subaru impreza and we had a 2002 subaru Wrx. Eash and every one of them has been problem free, I will always buy Subarus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts