Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't currently have a subie but i will own one soon. I really want a Forester. I have a jeep cherokee now that is lifted but not great for high speed cornering and rally-x. I found a 99 Forester L for cheap at a Subaru dealer and it is getting a full engine rebuild. New gaskets, new rings, timing belt, the whole works. This car has 170,000 miles on it but the body is mint and the dealer has serviced it for every oil change since new and has paperwork to prove it. Its black with cloth interior. Good buy or no?

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What is the cost? Hard to say if it is a good deal or not without that bit of info. It does sound like it has lived a privileged life though. :biggrin:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer wants $5,900. We have a horrible selection of subies up here. The only ones ive been finding within 150 miles have either high prices and high miles or low prices with high miles and possible head gasket problems. I took one out last week and the head was blown to the point were i had to limp around the block to get back to the dealership. They said it has always smoked and wasn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Greetings, fellow Cheesehead!

That doesn't sound bad at all, considering you're getting a freshened-up motor as part of the deal. Are they going to warranty the motor work?

And yeah, not a lot of used Foresters in this area, even at the dealers. I've seen a total of one private-party Forester for sale in the last two years, between CL and the local paper...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts