Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've recently bought a 2003 JDM XT and I'm in the process of changing a few bits...roll bar, filter, exhaust etc. I was looking at the intercooler today thinking 'it seems a bit small'. There's plenty of room around it, so has anyone on here had the same thought and done something about it?

Regards Obi

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
A JDM XT eh? Think your the first on here with one of those (waits to be corrected) - piccies please?

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Have a look at similar year Impreza stuff

Maybe an Sti would fit

Heres one I fitted earlier (P1)

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nich B said:
Have a look at similar year Impreza stuff

Maybe an Sti would fit

Heres one I fitted earlier (P1)
The current unit is in quite a bad condition with lots of flattened fins, looks like someone dropped something on it and then ran their 'finger' across the rest of the fins to give a uniform look. The'll not be a lot of airflow though it. When you fitted the Sti unit did you also change the rubber scoop cowel to match the air flow to the bigger surface area?

Regards Obi

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
This is common, you need tweezers or small screw driver and straighten them

Mine is a JDM Stb and the one I took off was almost exactly the same, the one I put on was in better condition and in silver, with a guard, and looks better

So the rubber whatsit fits

I have read somewhere about cutting the existing rubber to fit a bigger IC

You might also consider a tilt kit, and a splitter

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
a toothpick is the instrument of choice for fin-straightening.

for a MY2003 a STi7/8 intercooler if you can find one is the one to go for. *BUT* you'll need the dumpvalve the intercooler brackets , the correct scoop undertray and a samco section or replacement Y pipe as well.

Failing that a WRX intercooler will go on with a bit less fettling - but don't bother with the MY06 version as it's the forester one :D ...

AFAIK you don't need the tilt kit as the new age wrx/SG have a tilted configuration anyway....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a go with various 'fine' tools but about 80% of the fins had been flattened; and even after my efforts the airflow through is very low. So I think in my mind I'd realised it'd be better to replace it and this means I should consider all the options. WRX /Sti Impreza intercoolers are probably more readily available than SG Forester's and as the car will be re-mapped to 280bhp fairly soon I'd like to put the most effective on in the space without going over the top.

Obi

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
newage WRX one will be more than adequate for that power level.

Steve

P

·
0 Posts
I have the standard intercooler from my 2004 Forester Sti available if you are still looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts