Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm considering purchasing this.... Please excuse the screen shot as I'm on my phone.
Screenshot_20200703-191251_Chrome.jpg
So my questions are.
1.Has anyone had any experience with this model?
2.Would I need to have my map tweaked?
3.What would be the benefits of the single outlet as I quite fancy that design.
4. Would I just be wasting money for aesthetics.

Cheers.
Andy.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
Is there enough clearance re: clutch master cylinder/reservoir with a RHD car??

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
434 Posts
And do you really want your pipe routing to be directly above the red hot turbo and down pipe? Whatever gains you might get from the bigger more efficient core you are only going to lose by the swiggly piping above a heat source....Better to get an Impreza STI Intercooler do you not think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stick with the OEM Impreza STi Intercooler (not the Forester STi intercooler which is in fact an Impreza WRX Intercooler!) - I have run 380-390 bhp on them without issues with charge temps (monitored via IAT sensors before and after the TMIC)

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ah good point @don1952 and after looking on the Mishimoto website it does say not for RHD cars. 🤦‍♂️
Thanks for your replies and all relevant may I add....
That's that idea out the window and will look for maybe an Impreza one instead although I'd like a brand new one. A few on ebay but they all look like shaggers apart from ones from Japan at £900.

Any other suggestions on new/other larger aftermarket TMIC's and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers again.
Andy.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So is it the OEM intercooler from the Impreza GDB V7-V9 or the V9-V10 that's the largest? @WUZ @don1952

V7-V9

Or V9-V10

I'm not sure which one to go for and if the V9-V10 would fit.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,539 Posts
I can't remember where I've read that but I think you need one from a drive by wire Impreza (2007).
That's what I had fitted in mine.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
MY06/07

Why not read XT666's project thread??

Link to TMIC page

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you very much @don1952 and I sure will bud 👍

Edit: well I've taken the guru's ( @don1952 ) advice and the link that was kindly sent to me by my good friend @Lockheed and purchased the V7-V9 Impreza STI GDB my07 TMIC; a huge saving on the 'squiggly' piped single exit Mishimoto TMIC and at half the price from japperformance.co.uk which includes the Y pipe and elbow 😎

So we'll see how it goes when it arrives.

Cheers again yah all.
Andy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have a TD04 on your car as opposed to a MHI VF Series turbo then simply swap the ends over on the Red Samco hose and it will fit the TD Series turbo's as the design and placement on TD turbo's is slightly different to that of the VF turbo's.

Wuz

·
Registered
33 Posts
Incidentally, your 2 pics are of the same intercooler..... top one is from a UK car (single top end tank shape) and the bottom one is from a JDM Car (double end tank shape)

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,539 Posts
MY06/07
View attachment 537085

Why not read XT666's project thread??

Link to TMIC page
Good call Don, that's where I had read it.
I did what XT666 had done and used an Impreza STi I/C with the Impreza Y pipe and silicon hose. I was lucky to find one in a very good condition from a 2007 RB320 whose owner switched to a FMIC.
2006/2007 are DBW and these are the ones you need.
I also used a Subtle Solutions diffuser which is designed for Foresters that use Impreza STi I/C and spreads the air across the whole surface area of the I/C. This company has stopped trading IIRC but there is another one that makes exactly the same product.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If you have a TD04 on your car as opposed to a MHI VF Series turbo then simply swap the ends over on the Red Samco hose and it will fit the TD Series turbo's as the design and placement on TD turbo's is slightly different to that of the VF turbo's.

Wuz
Nope not a td04 :sick: I have the stock VF (insert number here) turbo but hoping between the hoses I have and the one that'll come with the intercooler; I can fashion one to fit, fingers crossed.

I also didn't realise both the intercoolers were the same but had different tanks due to being UKDM and JDM. The site just labelled them V7-V9 and V9-V10. When I spoke to Saj he did say he was sending a JDM one though.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good call Don, that's where I had read it.
I did what XT666 had done and used an Impreza STi I/C with the Impreza Y pipe and silicon hose. I was lucky to find one in a very good condition from a 2007 RB320 whose owner switched to a FMIC.
2006/2007 are DBW and these are the ones you need.
I also used a Subtle Solutions diffuser which is designed for Foresters that use Impreza STi I/C and spreads the air across the whole surface area of the I/C. This company has stopped trading IIRC but there is another one that makes exactly the same product.
Yes Fivos I always wait until I receive a definitive answer or advice from @don1952 before I commit to anything. I suppose he could tell me that I needed to cut my right arm off and I'd not question it :ROFLMAO:

I'll also look into a larger diffuser.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive got a Samco y pipe if you need it ?
Cheers Will I'll maybe take you up on that, however the IC has a metal Y pipe but your pipe may have the correct angle/diameter needed somewhere on it if I don't.
I've WhatsApp'd you but it doesn't seem to be getting to you. Maybe your in a receptionless area.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
The site just labelled them V7-V9 and V9-V10.
Why can't people use Model Year (for UK) or year plus revison letter (JDM) as the V's ended with the V6

As it is the intercoolers for "V7-V9" (Bug/Blob/Hawk) all have different part numbers/setups, plus how can you have V9 in both groups as "V10" relates to Hatch??

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why can't people use Model Year (for UK) or year plus revison letter (JDM) as the V's ended with the V6

As it is the intercoolers for "V7-V9" (Bug/Blob/Hawk) all have different part numbers/setups, plus how can you have V9 in both groups as "V10" relates to Hatch??
I'm guessing these people aren't as logical and experienced as yourself Don.

I've been speaking to Saj from Japperformance.co.uk and he reckons that the JDM Impreza isn't FBW and that I'd need a UK elbow from a JDM IC that I've bought (the first picture above) to a JDM VF series turbo on a JDM Forester! I'm so confused.

Edit. So as @WUZ says the top pic is a UK IC but Saj from japperformance.co.uk stated its a JDM one. And that he would send me a JDM one.... Aaaaaaaaaaghgh this is doing my nut ino_O

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So this is the one I've bought. Which is the first pic I posted.

So from what I understand this is the Y pipe and silicone elbow I need? Which is from the second pic I posted.

I'm thinking that before japperformance.co.uk ship out the IC to me that I ask to be sent the second one?

My brain is fried!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts