Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Would a TMIC off of a Type UK STI 8 be a worthwhile upgrade for my XT? Will it fit if I get a larger scoop and splitter? Have found one for £200 and don't know if it's worth getting for when I get all my other parts on my neverending list!

Ben

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
The advice i've always been given on this subject is... unless you are racing or have roughly 300 bhp or more than its not worth it ....not my knowledge, just others that are much more knowledgeable than me ! So probably better off spending 200 quid elswhere by the sounds of it Ben....does look the nuts though !:biggrin:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
As Forester says..................

If Rich (NorthDownscSooby) can put 360 Bhp/398Lbsft through the STi Forester intercooler which is the same size as the standard WRX one then its pretty low on the upgrade scale.

The early XT intercoolers have the same area/volume as the WRX one but is stretched out to the width of the Impreza STi one to give a lower profile.
They now fit a similar one to the later model imprezas.

I managed to get an FSTi one, as it removes part of the Intercooler from above the Turbo.

The problem that does occur with the MY03XT is that it has a unique fabricated combined left-hand exh manifold and crossover pipe.

Where as most Subaru Impreza/Forester manifolds are about 40mm diameter the 03XT one narrows to under 35mm diameter through the crossover pipe expansion bellows. The RH manifold is normal 40mm bore.

Good for high gas velocity but not quantity.

They reverted back to the "normal" 3 piece arrangement for MY04.

So if you are going to up the power then a set of impreza manifolds should be on the list before the TMIC upgrade.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
i fitted one from a Type UK STI 9 with no problems
Coops when you say "no problems" I presume you are not counting the fact that your XT is now only making about 15 bhp...?

(Sorry mate...had to be said :biggrin:)

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
I believe Mark90745674 was on over 400bhp with a TMIC was he not...?
He was but not through his FSTi TMIC as that was sold very early on and sits under my bonnet :rock:

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo manual
1,670 Posts
Coops when you say "no problems" I presume you are not counting the fact that your XT is now only making about 15 bhp...?

(Sorry mate...had to be said :biggrin:)
:( lol this is true , but an action plan is under way and will have some good news soon I hope, till then I got my self a nice 1 liter 96 Ibiza coupe ;) Well I say coupe as it's only a 2door With a boot .

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
He was but not through his FSTi TMIC as that was sold very early on and sits under my bonnet :rock:
Ah yes, good point.

On that point, I have been reliably informed by a competant mapper that the FSTI TMIC is good for 400+ anyways.

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for all the replies. I have decided to save the money and spend it on an Andy Forrest turbo upgrade. Unless I now get loads of replies telling me I shouldn't!!!

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Many thanks for all the replies. I have decided to save the money and spend it on an Andy Forrest turbo upgrade. Unless I now get loads of replies telling me I shouldn't!!!
Just buy an STI mate and be done with it.....

:biggrin:

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Wouldn't disagree with you on your choice :biggrin::biggrin: Neither would AP.

Just need to make sure your supporting mods match to get the best out of it.

Don

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wouldn't disagree with you on your choice :biggrin::biggrin: Neither would AP.

Just need to make sure your supporting mods match to get the best out of it.

Don
Hi Don,

thanks for the reply. What do you have in mind?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Hi Don,

thanks for the reply. What do you have in mind?
To get the best out of it you will need to free up the exhaust and do away with at least the second cat in the down pipe sections, back box (both as per PPP) and preferably fit a de-catted up pipe.(Alan Mac lost his first turbo due to cat breakup). Change the intercooler inlet hose for silicone.
Fit a replacement fuel pump to make sure the supply/pressure is there for the increased fueling. Standard injectors are fine for this turbo/expected output.

If you haven't already, you may want to invest in some better brakes. :biggrin:

If you have looked through my previous posts you will have come across this one......

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/616030-post1.html

Gives an idea of whats needed.

The rest of the thread is just discussion on why the figures weren't as expected, turned out that the "wick need turning up a bit" in the right places in the mapping to suit...........

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/755672-post47.html

Some food for thought........................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts