Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Got a good bit of work done this weekend. Top feed conversion done with FIC rails/injectors, IAG lines, and an Aeromotive FPR. While I was in there, I installed TGV deletes, phenolic spacers, and a red intake manifold. Working on tuning it myself now, and I have closed loop operation pretty much dialed in, but I had to send the car to the shop to get the bumper repaired, so I'll have to wait a week or so before I can get the tune done. Going to do brembos then too. Have to get this all done before I move on 8/16!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
So it's been a bit since I updated this thing. I'm all settled in at my new home in South Carolina and I had my first day of grad school today. Pretty exciting stuff.

The weekend before I left, I got my brembos on, as well as a Group N trans mount. All things considered, the install didn't go too badly, aside from some filing of the metal slider plates. As per recommendation by MikeDrives1, I bled the brakes with a Motive bleeder, which has given me excellent pedal feel.

Pics:

So all was well, until a few days ago (coincidentally the day after I moved down to SC) when my front right brake started making an awful squealing noise. Some investigation led me to find the lower caliper bolt spinning around in its hole, unable to be tightened. Of course, the brake decided to wait to strip out until I got to SC, 800 miles away from a garage full of tools and bolts. So I ordered a helicoil kit on Amazon, and when it arrived, I realized I needed a tap handle. Went to NAPA (no luck), AutoZone (no luck), O'Reilley's (no luck), then finally Tractor Supply, where I found a tap handle. Woo!

So I jacked up the car with the stupid little bottle jack in the trunk, pulled the wheel, and started drilling with my inadequate 17 dollar Harbor Freight drill. It worked, but only barely. Tapped the hole and put in the helicoil.

Now, all would have been well if I could have just reinstalled it. But as it would turn out, the bolts that came with my brembos were M12x1.75, rather than M12x1.5, so I couldn't reuse the bolt. Ended up running to 4 different stores again before finding a single bolt that would work. It's too short, but at least I can drive my car safely until I get an OEM replacement. Of course, now I'm just waiting for the other holes to strip out. Oh well.

Hope you enjoyed my rambling.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I went autocrossing again! Went to one of the Clemson hosted events. As far as I know, I came 1st in class (AWD above 200hp), but the official results haven't been published yet. Fastest run of the day that I know of was a 48.9s (done by a Miata) and my fastest run was 50.9s, so I'm pretty happy. This fastest time was my 3rd of 4 runs, and I guarantee I could have broken into the 40s on my last run, except that on the first big turn I snapped a front end link and the front end became really squishy and unpredictable. Oh well! Next run is in a few weeks so I'm hoping to have my car fixed by then.

Posted up:

Broken endlink:

Video of fastest run:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Still working on self-tuning my car. Not much time to go out and do pulls with my graduate school course load, but I was able to get out the other night and really dial in open loop fueling. I hooked my wideband up to the old TGV plug so I'm able to log the wideband. Air-fuel errors are within 2%, so close enough in my opinion. I leaned out the fuel to about 11.5 at full boost, going to 11.1 at redline to keep things cooler. Still haven't added any timing to the DAM table, and I'm using the stock timing map for primary ignition. For only having added some boost and leaning out the fuel, this power ain't bad.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Everything looks good bro. How bad was the top feed conversion? I got everything to do it but need a base tune first. I'm asking cas I'll have 1 day. 2 if I'm lucky to swap everything over due to it being my daily...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Everything looks good bro. How bad was the top feed conversion? I got everything to do it but need a base tune first. I'm asking cas I'll have 1 day. 2 if I'm lucky to swap everything over due to it being my daily...
I probably could have done it in one day, but I kept getting distracted because I was doing it with friends. If you want to do it really cheaply, you can get the Fuel Injector Clinic side feed conversion rails and their custom injectors, and then you don't need to pull the manifold or anything. I pulled the manifold since I wanted to swap to a red one and put in TGV deletes and phenolic gaskets, but you can do it more easily.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I probably could have done it in one day, but I kept getting distracted because I was doing it with friends. If you want to do it really cheaply, you can get the Fuel Injector Clinic side feed conversion rails and their custom injectors, and then you don't need to pull the manifold or anything. I pulled the manifold since I wanted to swap to a red one and put in TGV deletes and phenolic gaskets, but you can do it more easily.
I already have some id1050x's and some tgv deletes to go along with em so I have to take the manifold off. At this point I'm pretty sure the hardest part will be getting the harness out of the way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I already have some id1050x's and some tgv deletes to go along with em so I have to take the manifold off. At this point I'm pretty sure the hardest part will be getting the harness out of the way.
Yeah, getting the manifold out is a pain because EVERYTHING is bolted to it for whatever reason. Going back in was so much easier since I didn't have the stock fuel lines in the way

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
Haven't had much time to post here since I've been busy with school, but I figured I could provide some updates. With the Forester, literally nothing has changed. As for me, I got a fellowship with BMW in Spartanburg, so they'll be giving me money towards my graduate studies and I'm basically guaranteed an internship there for the Summer of 2018 and the Spring of 2019, which hopefully will be followed by me getting a job. Time will tell. :)

Here's some pics, since threads are useless without pics:

141 - 160 of 166 Posts