Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thank you for the specs. I'm trying to see what specs I can get away with without having to roll my fenders and still have some decent rubber.
I'd look for a 235 on an 8 inch wide wheel, with the offset higher than 40. That should be acceptable. Depends on ride height as well.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
9 Posts
This post made me join! I love the build! I recently bought an 04 FXT and this thread has served as some great inspiration. Cant wait to see where this goes from here! Nice autoX videos. I used to autoX my integra before it was stolen. Subscribed!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
This post made me join! I love the build! I recently bought an 04 FXT and this thread has served as some great inspiration. Cant wait to see where this goes from here! Nice autoX videos. I used to autoX my integra before it was stolen. Subscribed!
Thanks for the kind words! Make a build thread so we can follow you too. :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Finally put a lip on my front bumper. In my opinion, it makes the car look a lot more angry and really completes the look. Paint matches pretty well too! Bought it from AutomotiveTouchup.com. Their primer was kind of awful, but the base coat and clear coat are great.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I take it you sprayed it yourself then? Looks good! One thing I do not like about our year foresters is the front bumper.
I had a buddy spray it for me (he has the gun), but he isn't a professional by any means. The only thing he painted before this was spats for his STI. All things considered, I'm very happy with how it looks.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Looks like it matches, so that's always a plus. What was the issue with their primer?
He followed the steps listed on the can for prep and application, and it all flaked off and stuff. He ended up using a different primer that stuck, but it cracked as soon as the lip was put on. I plan to repaint the bumper and lip with a better primer since my bumper paint is awful anyway. They sell two stage paints that are apparently more flexible so it's either that or I'll have a body shop do it properly.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
996 Posts
He followed the steps listed on the can for prep and application, and it all flaked off and stuff. He ended up using a different primer that stuck, but it cracked as soon as the lip was put on. I plan to repaint the bumper and lip with a better primer since my bumper paint is awful anyway. They sell two stage paints that are apparently more flexible so it's either that or I'll have a body shop do it properly.
That sucks. I've had mine for awhile now and have been too lazy to paint it. Probably just going to take it to the professionals.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
That sucks. I've had mine for awhile now and have been too lazy to paint it. Probably just going to take it to the professionals.
I imagine if the lip fit properly (good old Ebay fitment) and didn't need to bend as much, the paint would have been fine. I'm considering repainting the lip on the bumper, since what's underneath doesn't matter anyway, and then it won't need to flex as much and won't crack.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
996 Posts
I imagine if the lip fit properly (good old Ebay fitment) and didn't need to bend as much, the paint would have been fine. I'm considering repainting the lip on the bumper, since what's underneath doesn't matter anyway, and then it won't need to flex as much and won't crack.
Yeah, these thing don't exactly fit very well. If only the JDM front lip was easier to come by. That's probably a good idea. No reason to take it off anyways.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Yeah, these thing don't exactly fit very well. If only the JDM front lip was easier to come by. That's probably a good idea. No reason to take it off anyways.
I plan to take it off one time to fix some of the fitment issues. The whole upper rim of the lip is thick plastic and the back part that rests against the bumper is a triangle thing, so it makes a gap. I want to sand it flat to make it fit a bit tighter. Getting the lip fitted nicely took three people. One to hold the lip in the front, one to line up the spot to be drilled, and one to drill.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Spent most of the day today removing plastidip from my car. The previous owner decided to put a super thin coat of plastidip on the roof racks, C pillar trim pieces, rear hatch trim, and the Forester 2.5XT badge. Since it was thin, it wouldn't peel off at all. Had to coat it all in WD40, wait, and scrape it off with a plastic razor blade. But hey, at least my car looks shiny now!

Note all of the plastidip on the rear bumper.

More pics to come...

·
Registered
2004 FXT JDM V7 6 Speed
51 Posts
Dude loving the build! We will have to meet up one of these days for an event down south once your settled in SC. I'll have those new goodies to go with those pretty gold things^^^ out to you Monday.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Lots of stuff ordered to go on the car. Got backed into at Prime Motoring and they covered the damage, so I have a new rear bumper that's going to get put on next week (luckily the damage didn't go any further than that). Figured while I was at it, I'd get a new front bumper and headlight surrounds since mine are heavily rock chipped and damaged. Also going to get my lip repainted since the cheap paint job my buddy did cracked.

A few days after buying the rest of my Brembo stuff (rear calipers, rotors, pads, anti-squeal shims, and brackets), my AC compressor clutch decided to go out. It started making a lovely grinding noise. I figure while it's at the shop getting the paint work done, I may as well have the AC compressor replaced, so I got a new OEM one and that's going to go on as well.

Also got my new FIC 1100cc injectors flow tested (they're within 2% of each other so they're pretty solid), and I purchased my Aeromotive FPR and IAG fuel line. Also got 3mm phenolic spacers to put on and I'll be putting on TGV deletes as well.

Gonna be a lot of upgrades going on all at once but it should totally transform the car. Definitely excited to get rid of the awful stock brakes and my awful side feed injectors.

I'm also going to be using some guides I've followed and insight from MikeDrives1 to try to tune my car myself. Should be a fun learning experience and, worse case scenario, if I give up, I can just call Mikey and have him come tune my car. LOL

Picture of the bumper damage:

121 - 140 of 166 Posts